Keyboard shortcuts

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
elisatems
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by elisatems » Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:28 pm

Am I not understanding the Sibelius Reference or is there a trick to getting certain keyboard shortcuts to work on a Mac? The only ones that seem to work for me are N to toggle input mode on or off, and the shift-numeric sequences to add pitches. The Reference says that note values and accidentals can be selected using numbers "on the keypad", but I'm not sure whether they are talking about the keypad panel (which only has 1/2/3/4 for voices), or something on the keyboard, e.g. a numeric keypad. I use a MacBook Pro, and my keyboard does NOT have a numeric keypad. Assuming that's what they mean, is there some way to simulate those keystrokes on my keyboard?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:54 am

f you don't have a numeric keypad on your Mac, you are going to need to use the special set of keyboard shortcuts called "Notebook(Laptop) shotcuts. it is listed under File-->Preferences-->Keyboard Shortcuts. TBH, a keypad costs very little and it will make your life so very, very much easier!
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

elisatems

Post by elisatems » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:18 pm

Ok, thanks. Might have to invest in a Bluetooth numeric keypad then - but given the limited space I have on my computer desk, I wonder whether it will be more trouble than it's worth.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:40 pm

And not all keypads, Bluetooth or wired, are guaranteed to work with Sibelius. I'm lucky. Mine does, and it was bought in a 'Poundland' store - as cheap as can be! But a bit of searching on here and the Official Sibelius forum - https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... ?groupid=3 - will reveal tales of some that don't work!

Driving Sibelius without a numeric keypad is a pain!

elisatems

Post by elisatems » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:56 pm

andyg wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:40 pm
And not all keypads, Bluetooth or wired, are guaranteed to work with Sibelius. I'm lucky. Mine does, and it was bought in a 'Poundland' store - as cheap as can be! But a bit of searching on here and the Official Sibelius forum - https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... ?groupid=3 - will reveal tales of some that don't work!

Driving Sibelius without a numeric keypad is a pain!
Yikes! Wish I could access that forum, but the site claims I don't have an account there, and my Avid login doesn't work - apparently I need to "join the Help Center", which requires my serial number (doesn't exist since I downloaded my copy) or activation id (which the last time I needed it, took me over 2 hours to figure out how to find). :(