Multiple bracket configurations in a single score

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
maiamcc
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by maiamcc » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:01 pm

Hi folks. Long-time searcher, first time poster.

I'm engraving a choral score with a bunch of different voicings (e.g. one section is SATB, then SATB + solo, then SSATB, then SATB.SATB, etc.). I've got eight instruments and hide/show/relabel as needed to get the different configurations I want.

For the SATB.SATB double choir bit, I want to bracket the two choirs separately for legibility reasons (i.e. <SATB> <SATB>), but I can't seem to change the brackets here without changing them in the rest of my score, and because of the way I assign and re-assign the instruments, the bracketing gets totally nonsensical—like in my SSATB section, the voices are bracketed <SSAT> <B>.

Is there any way to have different bracket configurations for the same staves throughout a single score? (I assume the workaround here is to create an extra EIGHT instruments for the double choir bit and leave them hidden for the rest of the score, so I can set bracket behavior how I want without interfering with anything else. Sigh.) Any advice appreciated!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:08 pm

I would always advise that any score contains all combinations of bracketing from the start. So yes, sigh, your suggested solution is, actually, the way to go. Think of it this way, each grouping is a separate instrument with its own bracketing requirements.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

maiamcc
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by maiamcc » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:15 am

Thanks all--I was trying to get clever with my instrumentation and not just have a million different hidden instruments for all possible combinations of voices, but it seems that that is in fact the way to go. I'm all set now, appreciate the help!