Bar Numbers and repeats

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
arfo

Post by arfo » Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:00 pm

HI everybody,
I've a problem with bar numbering when inserting repetitions bars; I want to explain as repeats work to my pupils and I created a Sibelius score with four 8-bars staves and I want each of them to be numbered starting from 1 and going to 8, even if there are repeat marks along the stave; I strated setting each staff starting from 1 but when I insert a repat bar numbers disappear and I can't make them reappear...
Any suggestion?
Thank you for helping me,
arfo[
Attachments
Bar Numbers with repetitions.png
Bar Numbers with repetitions.png (166.95 KiB) Viewed 2512 times

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Mon Oct 17, 2022 8:26 am

You have to be careful in Sibelius about how you start and end repeat sections. Sibelius gets easily confused if repeat barlines are missing, even if it's obvious to a human where things start and end. In your 3rd line there is no start repeat barline so Sibelius can't decide what the bar number should be at the second time repeat. It also wouldn't play back properly if there were any notes. If you put in a start repeat bar line at the start of the 3rd line this should put the missing numbers back.

Looking more closely, you may also need to add a start repeat barline at the start of the 4th line.

If you really don't want the start repeats to show you may be able to hide them (for printing, etc).

I'm at work right now so can't test this, but I think that's what going on.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

arfo

Post by arfo » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:54 pm

Hi KJ,
I tried to insert a repeat mark at the begininning of third staff and bar numbers reappeared!
After that I can hide the repeat and everything is as I want (I prefer 1 to 8 bar numbering because it's easier to clear the concept to my pupils, that are 11 to 13 years old).
Maybe I'll move rehearsal marks some at the beginning of each staff as I intend them to be like an exercise number (I'll hide layout marks too, obviously!)
Thank you very much!

arfo
Attachments
Bar Numbers with repetitions - 02.png
Bar Numbers with repetitions - 02.png (130.57 KiB) Viewed 2483 times

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:11 pm

Great that you found a solution, arfo. Disappearing bar numbers used to happen to me quite a lot, until I realised what was going on!
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

arfo

Post by arfo » Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:41 pm

Thank you again!
arfo