rest notation

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
grantcahoon
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by grantcahoon » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:18 pm

I have a piece with 9 measures rest at the beginning. I condensed it so the music shows a 9 above a rest sign rather than show 9 separate rest bars. This worked on the 1st and 2nd flute parts, but on the 3rd flute part, it notated 2 rests, one for 3 measures and one for 6 measures. I couldn't get the two to combine to show 9 measures rest like parts 1 and 2. What would you suggest?

I tried to add it as a screen shot, but it said the file was too large. What is that about???

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:30 pm

This usually means that there's something in the part that's preventing the multi-bar rest. The bars must be completely empty. And I assume that you are working in the Full Score, not in the individual parts.

This is a very old, almost moribund and unofficial forum. I have no idea what the limits are on screen shots.

The official Sibelius chat pages are here: https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... ?groupid=3

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:11 pm

Screen shots are, I believe, limited to 100kB. This shows you how old the forum is.

Are there any text items within the rests or attached to a particular bar that might be interrupting the bar rests?

You say you condensed the rests - how did you do this? In a part, rests should become multirests automatically. You shouldn't have to do anything at all. Try selecting the bar in between and pressing [delete]. That can also often solve issues like this. If you want to send me the file, my email address isin my signature.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk