Loading newly created instruments into old scores ..

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
AndyPattaya
Sibelius Version: 2021.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by AndyPattaya » Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:45 am

Hi .. i have been a Sibelius user for many years and have scored over 100 original compositions over the years ..

recently i have created an Ensemble of about 24+ custom instruments in my most recent score and would like to import the Ensemble into some older scores but Sibelius/Home/Instruments/Edit/All Instruments does show the new Ensemble .. is there some way to load the new Ensemble into older scores or do i have re-create all of the new instruments manually?? .. any thoughts?? -

i assume that my problem is caused by my ignorance of some subtle Sibelius functions which i have yet to learn ..

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:17 pm

You can 'save' new (or edited) instruments for general use by exporting a House Style or saving as a Manuscript paper.
You'd then Import the House Style into existing score, or use the Manuscript Paper when setting up new scores.

This is from the Sibelius 7.5 Reference guide:
2.6 Edit Instruments
2.4 Instruments, 2.5 Staves, 5.4 Instrument names.
Even though Sibelius has an exhaustive list of more than 600 built-in instruments, you may
sometimes need to edit an instrument type that is used in your score (for example, if you need a
particular combination of percussion instruments on a single staff not accommodated by Sibelius’s
built-in instruments), or, more rarely, create an instrument type that isn’t listed in Home >
Instruments > Add or Remove at all.
Sibelius makes this easy, using the Edit Instruments dialog. Any changes to the existing instruments
or new instruments you create are then saved in the score you are working on, and can be
used in other scores by exporting a house style or saving them in a manuscript paper.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11