Abbreviated Tuplets

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
simoncapet
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by simoncapet » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:56 pm

Hello fellow forum members. This is my first post, so please be gentle :oops:

I feel sure that my question has been covered in this forum at some point in the past, but I have been unable to find the thread. If this is the case, I would be grateful if someone would point me in the right direction.

I am going round and round in circles on the internet trying to find out how to create abbreviated tuplets, triplets in particular. This is what I am wanting to acheive:

Cheers

Simon

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:24 am

Input 4 dotted crotchets. Go to keypad 3, select all four notes and click the single tremolo 'key' - or press 1 on a proper numeric keypad. Then add the numerals as required.

I'm sure you already know, but a lot of people will not be familiar with abbreviated tuplets. I've been playing for almost 60 years and teaching for around 40 years. I can't recall seeing them used more than a couple of times!

simoncapet

Post by simoncapet » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:16 pm

Hi Andy, thank you for your response. I will try what you suggest - but it is specifically abbreviated triplets that I am trying to achieve rather than duplets duplets. Perhaps it's specific to orchestral music, but this is extremely common notation which is why I am surprised that Sibelius doesn't make the option easier.

simoncapet

Post by simoncapet » Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:22 pm

So, here is the solution I came up with. It is a neat little solution as far as engraving is concerned.

First, I placed a single quaver/eighth-note into a bar.

I selected the note and navigated to Note Input/Triplets/Other

In the number field, I typed in the ratio 12:8 (twelve eighth-notes/quavers in the time of eight eighth-note/quavers).

I left the number and auto bracket checked for this demonstration.

Then I filled the bar with dotted crotchets/quarter-notes.

And, I added quaver/eighth-note tremolo feathers from the Beams/Tremolo screen on the notepad.

Finally, I removed the number and bracket in the inspector screen.

As I said, I could have removed the bracket and number when I set the tuplet ratio.

I'm pleased with the end product, even if Sibelius still plays back two quavers/eighths instead of three.

If anyone has another solution to creating abbreviated tuplets I would like to see your method. And, if anyone can help me with the playback issue I would love to hear from you.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:48 pm

Set up the whole of one bar as shown
abbrev trip 1.png
abbrev trip 1.png (3.93 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
add the trem line and hide the bracket, then make each into a dotted crotchet.
abbrev trip 2.png
abbrev trip 2.png (2.84 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
If you play it back now, you'll hear three quavers each beat.

Fake the numbers
abbrev trip 3.png
abbrev trip 3.png (3.08 KiB) Viewed 2572 times
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

simoncapet

Post by simoncapet » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:55 pm

Thank you, Mike. I will give your solution a try. :D