Layout issue

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
robjkennedy
Sibelius Version: 12
Operating System: Mac

Post by robjkennedy » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:24 am

Hi All,

I have a five movement piece, four of them are laid out well, but one is a mess. No matter what I do I cannot fix it.

Attached is a screenshot, can anyone help me sort this out?

Regards,

rob
Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 11.18.39 am.jpg
Screenshot 2023-01-11 at 11.18.39 am.jpg (246.53 KiB) Viewed 2169 times

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:18 pm

Hi,
You can;t really expect us to diagnose this issue with so little information. We've no idea what your margins are or what your justification settings are.

The middle page looks to be too crowded - partly caused by having "keep bars together" forced on all the bars on the top system, Select all the bars on that page and press [ctrl/cmd][shift]u followed by [ctrl/cmd][shift]n. This should at least give you a better starting point for further experimentation.

Is there some reason why you have put the fermata bar on the top of this page, rather than let it sit (more pleasingly) on the bottom of the previous page?
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:12 pm

Looking at the system breaks and page breaks that you have put in, I'm not surprised it looks like that, especially the middle page.

Further to Mike's suggestion, I'd be inclined to unlock the format for the entire movement and get Sibelius to reflow the music itself. Then use that as the starting point to get the format and appearance that you want. It will take more time but you'll probably end up with a much better result.

And yes, you can improve things by looking at your margins and justification settings.

Have a look at what you've done in the other movements and try to see what you've done differently.

robjkennedy
Sibelius Version: 12
Operating System: Mac

Post by robjkennedy » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:02 am

Thank you Mike. Your suggestion solved everything.

Regards,
Rob
MikeLyons wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:18 pm
Hi,
You can;t really expect us to diagnose this issue with so little information. We've no idea what your margins are or what your justification settings are.

The middle page looks to be too crowded - partly caused by having "keep bars together" forced on all the bars on the top system, Select all the bars on that page and press [ctrl/cmd][shift]u followed by [ctrl/cmd][shift]n. This should at least give you a better starting point for further experimentation.

Is there some reason why you have put the fermata bar on the top of this page, rather than let it sit (more pleasingly) on the bottom of the previous page?