Retrieving A Deleted Score

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
sus4

Post by sus4 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:18 am

I accidentally erased the notes in a sketched score that I'm starting. As I write I constantly press save. Is it possible to find one of the saved versions? I can't believe I did this.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:39 pm

If the notes were created in the same session you may be able to use Undo (Ctrl/Cmd Z) repeatedly to get them back. Use carefully (slowly) though as I've had Sibelius crash and restart when I've done 'too many' quick undos.

Otherwise, have you looked in your Backups folder? The frequency and location of auto-backups should be shown under:

File > Preferences > Files > Saving and Exporting

Open that folder in your usual file explorer/browser. Sorting the files by date may make it easier to find, if you can remember when you made the notes. You might want to copy the files to another location to avoid the risk of the version you want being overwritten. By default Sibelius saves 200 backups, though this can be changed.

If it's not in the backups folder a file backup tool might be able to retrieve the earlier backups. You may find a free one on google if you don't already have one.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

sus4

Post by sus4 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:14 am

KJ, thanks for your response. I'll check out your suggestion and post back as to what I found. In mean time I created a new score from memory, very time consuming, fortunately it was a small score. Thanks again.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:33 am

I'm sure you already do this, but for the benefit of anyone that doesn't --

Back up all your data files, not just Sibelius, regularly. Copy them to another drive, to a USB stick, to an external drive or to the 'cloud' (if you trust it!). How regular? Depends on how important something is. If I have a concert coming up or if I'm working on something big, my data files for organ and keyboard are backed up to two USB sticks and then to the PC on a daily basis. Similar timings for anything important in Sibelius, Cubase, Word etc.