Opening Old Files

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
WilliamS
Sibelius Version: Ultimate 2023.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by WilliamS » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:48 pm

Hi I'm asking this on behalf of my father who is a musician, but not great at navigating forums.

He has some old files with the suffix S7 that he has moved from floppy disks to his iMac. He wants to open them in Sibelius Ultimate (2023.2 build 1985) but is not managing to do this. The iMac tries to open them as if they are MP3 files, and when he tries to open them from Sibelius nothing happens or he gets messages that the files are corrupted. We think they would have last been used or created around 2002. Are these too old or is there a workaround that anyone knows of? Let me know if any additional information would help and I'll ask. Thanks in advance!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:58 pm

I have some bad news. Sibelius has always used the filetype .sib, except for the acorn version of Sibelius. He will need to open them using a very early version of the program - probably before Sibelius 5.

If he's on a late version of MacOS, he has no chance at all of opening them.

There is also a very real possibility that the files are, indeed, corrupted and therefore useless.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

WilliamS
Sibelius Version: Ultimate 2023.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by WilliamS » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:47 pm

OK thanks that’s appreciated, I do remember him having an Acorn so that must be it. I think he has PDFs of the music in question so will likely have to work with those. Thanks again