moving the bottom staff

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
grantcahoon
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by grantcahoon » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:20 pm

See the screen shot. When I try to add a screen shot, it says the file is too large. How do I make it smaller?

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Thu Apr 06, 2023 10:52 pm

Use an image processing app/tool to resize and/or save as another lower quality image type. Jpg/Jpegs are normally good enough quality to get the idea and around 800 pixels wide should be enough resolution. I normally use Paint in Windows, no idea what you have on Macs, but there should be something built in.

Anyway, what's your issue? If you just want to move your bottom staff up/down you can try resetting the margins: Layout > Document Setup > Margins. Good place to start, though there's lots of other things you can do to change your score's appearance.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

grantcahoon

Post by grantcahoon » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:15 am

I think an HEIC file is the smallest - 197 KB.

The HEIC file is greyed out, so I can't upload it.
All the other formats are about the same size, around 725KB. It seems to me that is a pretty small file. What is the
largest file that Sibelius Forum can upload?

I took a screen shot of only part of the page and it is less than 100KB so that will probably upload.

Yes it did upload. The staff is the bottom one on the page. Can I adjust something to move the staff indicated by the arrow?
I don't find that adjusting the margins gives me a good result.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Apr 08, 2023 7:22 am

Sorry, still can't see the image. Don't know if HEIC will be recognised, best use jpg if possible. Have you clicked Place Inline in Attachments? 100Kb should be fine size-wise. Couldn't find the exact limit in FAQs, but there are images around 250Kb from other posts successfully attached.

Under Layout you can also try changing Staff Size (I normally use 6-7 mm), Margins > Narrow, Spaces between Staves (> 6) / Systems (>9). Unlocking the format gives the score more 'room to breath'. Use Reset above/below and Optimise on the whole score for re-justification if you change any of the values.

Appearance > Reset Note Spacing may also help, and there's a whole bunch of parameters under Engraving Rules and Note Spacing Rule that may help for justification and are worth a tweak. I'd backup your original score first and play around with settings on a copy. If you find a setting that works, save (Export) as a House Style for future use. I've built up a library of many different House Styles for use in various situations.

[You could, if you're desperate/short of time, drag staves up/down/around with the mouse. I've done this myself, but wouldn't recommend doing this as the result would be hard to replicate, say, if the score changes, and it could all get very messy.]

We'll be able to give more advice when we see the image. A Sib file would be even more useful. You can't attach these directly, but can if you zip it. I'm only able to look at Sib 7 (or 6) files.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

grantcahoon

Post by grantcahoon » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:54 pm

I saved the screen shot as a JPEG, so you should be able to see this.
Attachments
JPEG Moving a staff - partial screen shot.jpg
JPEG Moving a staff - partial screen shot.jpg (71.24 KiB) Viewed 2331 times

grantcahoon

Post by grantcahoon » Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:02 pm

Here is another screen shot. I can't move any of the top staves any higher.
Attachments
JPEG Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 3.00.16 PM.jpg
JPEG Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 3.00.16 PM.jpg (70.64 KiB) Viewed 2330 times