Language setting greyed out, languages mixed up

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
yelemusic
Sibelius Version: 2021.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by yelemusic » Mon May 01, 2023 5:33 pm

Hi there everyone,
so after failing to find the solution myself, I have to accept that I'm probably too stupid, hence me asking the family:
I'm using Sibelius Ultimate 2022.3, and recently found something strange: The language of all the menus is all mixed up, some entries appear in English, others in German (being German I had switched the language to German a couple of times, but generally my computer speaks English).

Logically my first thought was to check the language setting, but as it happens the language menu is greyed out as well.

I'd think that some prefs file might be corrupted, but I'm hesitant with deleting whatever Sib. prefs file I can find, as I find the whole licensing scheme to be prone to malfunction, and I wouldn't want to risk not being able to use Sibelius after this.
Thanks to Avid I'm no longer eligible for Avid support, so I'm on my own here.

Interestingly when I first open Sibelius, the blank sheet of paper that comes up doesn't show this behaviour, arrangements with something on them do. I'm really puzzled.

Attached are screenshots, one of the greyed out language settings panel, two with context menus, normal and mashed up.

Any ideas?

Thanks, guys, I hope the hive mind has a solution!

Sibelius 2022.3
OSX 10.14.6
MacPro 5.1 cheese grater
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 19.23.15.png
Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 19.23.15.png (180.55 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 19.22.40.png
Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 19.22.40.png (153.68 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 19.23.56.png
Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 19.23.56.png (39.41 KiB) Viewed 3889 times

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue May 02, 2023 8:13 am

I'm pretty sure there was an answer for this given on the official Sibelius forum. You still have access to this through your my.avid account. Your login details should still be the same. You can search the forum for this issue. It doesn't matter that your update plan has expired
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

yelemusic

Post by yelemusic » Tue May 02, 2023 9:52 am

Hi Mike,
thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find the answer there :)

yelemusic

Post by yelemusic » Wed May 03, 2023 9:27 am

Hey Mike, I spend almost an hour searching for what you suggested, but couldn't find anything. So still no solution yet. Maybe you can point me in the the right direction?
I find the Avid website extremely annoying TBH, especially the forum, which doesn't work like any other forum. It's slow and sluggish, and searching the board often results in time out, well, here at least. Why don't they use the same forum software as everybody else? But hey, it's Avid we're talking, they don't exactly have a reputation for making things easier for their customers ;)

Anyway, the problem still persists, so every suggestion is highly welcome :)

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed May 03, 2023 6:20 pm

I'm sure you've read Robin Walker's reply:

The language of text in the user-interface is:
(a) partly dependent on the current user-interface language configured in Preferences; and
(b) partly dependent on the Manuscript Paper from which the score currently being edited was created, which will depend on the user-interface language at the time that the score was first created.

So, even when the language in Preferences is configured to "English", some text (derived from settings in the score) might be in another language: specifically, the language that was current when the score was created.

Robin is regarded as the fount of all knowledge about things Sibelius. If he doesn't know any more, no-one does! It's worth continuing your thread on the official forum, just in case anything further can be found. On here, it's just Mike, Me and KJP answering questions and if we're stumped there's no-one else here to ask!

yelemusic

Post by yelemusic » Wed May 03, 2023 9:01 pm

Ok, I've made some progress. The mix-up with languages was indeed caused by a house style that I once saved and imported. A plain new score didn't have that. Why Sibelius does this is beyond me, as it's plain silly and certainly not "state of the art" IMHO.

But that leaves me with the fact, that the language setting in preferences is still greyed out not allowing me to change the langue, even if I wanted to.

Yes, I've read Robins reply, but it doesn't explain why the language setting is greyed out.

How can this be? Is there a preference file that might have gotten faulty?
I remember it used to work a while back.