Activation interruptions after moving to a new macbook pro

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
wj012280

Post by wj012280 » Mon May 22, 2023 4:07 pm

I migrated to a new M2 chip macbook pro. I deactivated Sibelius on my old macbook and I followed all the instructions I can find to migrate my license to the new macbook. Sibelius works and recognizes my new macbook as shown in Avid Link. Every few days, I wake up to the message below.

"Your Sibelius License is no longer active. You may still save your score at this time.
Reactivate your license in Avid Link to continue working. Otherwise, Sibelius will enter Review Mode, where you can view and comment on scores but editing is disabled."

Can anyone help?

Macbook Pro M2 | Ventura 13.3.1 | Sibelius Ultimate

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon May 22, 2023 4:59 pm

You don't/can't migrate licences. Sibelius will think you're trying to run a cloned copy. Deactivate and re-activate correctly.

TBH, the whole migration idea is fraught with potential issues. All you need to do is deactivate on old machine, do a clean install on the new one and then activate that. Files can be copied to USB then transferred once the app is up and running. I've just done this with a new laptop after the old one died, with good help from Ingrid at Avid!

wj012280

Post by wj012280 » Tue May 23, 2023 12:53 pm

Thanks for your response. I deactivated the old macbook properly according to Avid website instructions. Are you suggesting that I uninstall Sibelius all together on the new macbook, reinstall and reactivate?

andyg

Post by andyg » Wed May 24, 2023 9:45 am

If you're having issues after migrating, then that may be the only solution.

You might like to ask for advice on the official Sibelius Chat Page as well as this unofficial site.

http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpcen ... ?groupid=3

anthony946
Sibelius Version: 6

Post by anthony946 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:43 pm

I am also having trouble moving Sibelius 6 to a new PC, some of which may be down to operator error. I started with Sibelius 3 back in the day when it was on offer to church musicians such as myself, then upgraded it to Sib 6. Last time I changed PC, everything just appeared, which was marvellous and I assumed the same would happen this time. But no. So I installed it on the new PC and it wanted the serial code, which I had lost. I managed to get it off the old PC (which now won't load anything properly) but I had to re-register. Lo and behold, there were no .sib files in there. I have found those now, but cannot work out how to get them back into Sibelius.

Then, when I opened the 'new' Sibelius, it didn't look right at all. No key signatures, no time signatures, no notes - all I have are small empty boxes on the staves. So I can't even write any music. I have uninstalled it and am waiting for a techy friend to come and see if he can make the old PC open properly so we can follow the instructions in this thread.

I may not be Mozart, but ALL the music I have ever written is in there. Avid is hopeless, as I changed my email address some years ago and they slipped under the radar of who to inform, so the current email address isn't recognised and I can't get into any support groups there - it's a vicious circle, going round and round! :(

andyg

Post by andyg » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:44 pm

You can't 'move' Sibelius.

First, I'm assuming that you're installing on Windows. If you're trying to install on a Mac, forget it. You would have to upgrade to the latest version of Sibelius Ultimate for that.

You must perform a clean install of Sibelius, making sure you've erased any traces of a previous installation. Then you'll have to activate it by opening a case with Avid. If you have issues email Ingrid Guce - ingrid.guce@avid.com - as she's usually very helpful. You'll need your serial number and any System ID, Activation ID and Device ID numbers from your old installation.

The missing characters and empty boxes are signs of missing fonts, the ones Sibelius uses. A proper installation will put these on the system.

As for 'getting your scores back into Sibelius', make a note of where they are on your PC and set Sibelius' preferences to use that location.