lines freeze in a certain file

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
ncleeno
Sibelius Version: 2020.6
Operating System: Mac

Post by ncleeno » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:20 am

When I try to add a dashed or dotted line in a certain file, a short one appears, but it has no handles and neither its length nor its angle can be changed. I tried creating a new file and there the lines behaved normally. Then I copied and pasted the music from the old file into the new one and the lines also worked normally! So I have worked around the problem this time, but what could have caused it?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:00 pm

Sounds like the usual Mac issue, where your version of Sibelius is no longer compatible with your Mac O/S. :( Have you updated your version of the O/S recently? If so, you may need to upgrade to the latest version of Sibelius Ultimate.

ncleeno
Sibelius Version: 2020.6
Operating System: Mac

Post by ncleeno » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:05 pm

Interesting idea, but I don’t think I’ve updated the Mac during the past year or two. It’s not normally connected to the internet, and even when I connect my iphone to it, it’s only for an hour or so and I haven’t consciously done any updates. The computer tells me I have Sibelius version 2020.6 and Mac OS Monterey version 12.1.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:07 pm

I don't (won't) have a Mac, but, IIRC, Apple did some push updates that many customers didn't know about and which rendered their Sibelius incompatible. In some cases, the incompatibility was total and the OS had to be reinstalled from scratch to before the updates, Sib had to be reinstalled in full and the computer had to be prevented from connecting to the internet. Could this be one of those?

Is this affecting just one file or many? Try starting a new file from scratch and enter a line - does this work as expected? It may be file corruption in the particular file.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Tue Jul 18, 2023 8:38 pm

I've just checked. 2020.6 is not fully compatible with Monterey 12.1. Its compatibility ended with Big Sur 11. It may work to a point but you can expect to have odd issues of which this may well be one.

Do what Mike has suggested and try starting something new to see if the problem persists. If it works, great, but do expect issues down the road. If it doesn't work, you have three options to consider:

1) Upgrade to the latest version of Sibelius Ultimate
2) Roll back/ re-install a previous Mac O/S - if possible
3) Buy a cheap, refurbished Windows laptop/PC and dedicate it to run just Sibelius 2020.6. Windows will run all versions of Sibelius as far back as 6 and possibly further.