Applying different character styles for different word menus

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
maiamcc
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by maiamcc » Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:33 am

TL/DR: is there any way to control which character style is used for different word menus?

I've been on a journey with my house style and some not-quite-Sibelius-compatible fonts, and things are mostly looking good. However, I'm having some trouble getting various uses of the music font to be the right size.

To get my dynamics to be a reasonable size, I set the size of my "music text" character style to 19.5 (relative). However, I've got my default lyric size pretty small, and when I type the elision character (via an underscore in a lyric), it renders in the same big size as my dynamics and looks WAY too big for the corresponding text. I have the same issue with tempo text: the music font character is comically large next to the regular text beside it.
Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 12.25.09 AM.png
goofy tempo text
Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 12.25.09 AM.png (11.74 KiB) Viewed 34759 times
In the "text styles" menu, I've created a new character style called "music text (smaller)" that's a more appropriate size, and my manual workaround is to highlight an elision character or a note appearing in my tempo text and change its character style.
Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 12.27.49 AM.png
manual intervention
Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 12.27.49 AM.png (126.47 KiB) Viewed 34759 times
This, obviously, is a giant pain, especially if I have to manually adjust a ton of elision characters. Which brings me to my question: is there any way to use a specific character style for a specific word menu? The "word menus" editor only has a checkbox for "use music text font" and, as far as I can tell, no way to specify a character style beyond that. I would love to say e.g. "render words from the 'symbols' menu with character style: 'music text (smaller)'", which would fix my outsized elision characters and tempo text characters. Is there anything to be done here?
Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 12.30.21 AM.png
word menu editor
Screen Shot 2023-08-09 at 12.30.21 AM.png (160.83 KiB) Viewed 34759 times
Basically: is there a way to automate when Sibelius should use various character styles? (And if not, uh, what's the point of character styles?)