Exported mp3 format size

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
MTJeff
Sibelius Version: 2023.6
Operating System: Mac

Post by MTJeff » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:26 pm

I use Sibelius primarily to create a cappella arrangements. I recently upgraded from Sib7 to 2023.6, and can finally export directly as mp3 rather than convert "outside".

Many such a cappella arrangements are in four parts, often scribed as one voice part (T1, T2, B1, B2) per stave, to help singers learn more readily. Exporting all four parts (TUTTI) yields a typical mp3 size of 1.5 to 2.5mb, depending on song length. Unfortunately, exporting single staves as mp3 yields mp3s of 15 to 17Mb per voice part -- way too large to email to users, either individually or as a group of files.

Does 2023.6 have an option to export single stave mp3 audio tracks compressed to manageable size? I haven't found one yet. Perhaps someone else has. I can take tracks "outside" into iTunes or use other compression applications, but would much prefer to export them directly from Sibelius at a workable size.

MTJeff, smiling hopefully :- )

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:35 am

I think the only option within Sibelius is to use a lower bitrate if possible, which should lessen the file size by a corresponding factor (as well as the audio quality). If you could export as a single mono channel that would also halve the file size, but I don't think that option is available from Sibelius, unfortunately.

Of course a lot of folks these days are using filesharing services like DropBox or Google drive, so you might considering going down that route.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11