Adding shorter notes above longer notes without deleting

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
rlg123
Sibelius Version: Sibelius First

Post by rlg123 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:18 pm

Hi all, would very much appreciate a solution to this.

I am using Sibelius First and my piece is in 6/8. In a particular bar I want to add a dotted minim acting as a sustain below a melody line above which is in quavers.

However, once I have added the minim I cant add in the quavers without the minim being turned into a quaver.

In the image below I want the lower quaver to be a dotted minim.
Sibelius 1.jpg
Sibelius 1.jpg (4.93 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
The only work around I've found is to add individual quavers for each beat and then tie them together, however this looks bad - see second image.
Sibelius 2.jpg
Sibelius 2.jpg (7.79 KiB) Viewed 2159 times
Is there a way to display the full dotted minim along with the quavers above it?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:43 am

Use separate Voices!

Upper notes go in Voice 1, lower notes in Voice 2.

All very clearly explained in the Reference Manual, with much more info than I have time to type. So I'm going to very politely ask you to read that section - working with Voices - and then start inputting the notes. :)

If you intend to upgrade to the full Sibelius Ultimate version at some point, then stick with the almost useless Sibelius First for the moment. If, however, you want a free notation app, I'd immediately switch to Musescore 4. Incredibly powerful for a freebie, and with a good set of quality sounds.

Much of what you'd learn with Sibelius First will apply to Musescore, including working with voices.

rlg123
Sibelius Version: Sibelius First

Post by rlg123 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:09 pm

Thank you :)