Number pad hardware? Expected behavior?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
wws
Sibelius Version: 2023.8
Operating System: Mac

Post by wws » Mon Nov 06, 2023 4:51 am

Hi all,

I am a new Sibelius user ("First" at the moment), but I think this is more of a general question:

Can you all recommend good number pad hardware, that works correctly with Sibelius? I don't want to use a full size keyboard, so umm, please don't recommend that.... Really, I want to buy a $120 keychron Q0 plus, but I think that's just gear acquistion syndrome...

Also, should we expect the number pad things to map exactly to a ten key keypad? My detached 10 key (a weird cheap mechanical usb thing I found on Amazon -- "Rottay" brand, whatever that is), matches on about half the keys but not the others. For example: 7, 8, 9 give me natural, sharp, and flat accidentals like it should, but I can't get a key on the hardware to give me the thing to the right of the flat accidental in the software.

Thanks!

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:38 pm

It's been a while since this question's come up!

I have a non-branded Chinese one bought off Ebay years ago. Works just fine, but that's on Windows!

My usual recommendation is to go with a full keyboard with number pad, but you don't want that!

I'll leave it to others to chip in, but you could do a bit of searching and Googling to see if it brings up old threads on here and also on the official Sibelius Chat Page.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Nov 06, 2023 3:25 pm

Unlike Windows, the mapping of Mac number pads is, at best, erratic. All sorts of apps and services on your mac can, and do, alter the mapping "on-the-fly". They don't always put it back into a sensible shape when they terminate. Simply put, you reads the reviews, you makes yer choice, and you pays your money.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

wws
Sibelius Version: 2023.8
Operating System: Mac

Post by wws » Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:24 pm

Fun times... Thanks everyone for your help so far!

Has anyone used Karabiner to remap some of the keys?

Related: is there a reference to what keys the Sibelius virtual number pad expects, so that I can program it in Karabiiner?

Ah, the rabbit holes...