Finding The Correct Notes On Keyboard Controller

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
sus4

Post by sus4 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:39 pm

I'm going to try and explain this question as best I can. Here we go. I've never really wanted to hear the notes coming from the drum part on any of my Sibelius scores because I would just write what I wanted and then print the part out. When I entered the notes on the drum part I would just use the mouse and that was it. But now I would like to hear the notes and enter them from my keyboard controller. The problem is I'm not hearing all the notes, like I'm not hearing the bass drum and the notes seem to be scattered from the middle of the keyboard controller to the right end. From the middle of the keyboard controller to the left side I'm not hearing nothing. Compared to my Logic Pro program the notes are all in order from the left side of the controller all the way up to the right side. I hear the bass drum on the 1st C note, then the snare, then the toms and other percussion going up the keyboard. So, is there a way of having the same kind of set up on Sibelius as I'm having on my Logic Pro program which is basically like a recording studio, I think they call it a DAW, Digital Audio Workstation?
Hope I explained this properly and hope I can hear some order of these notes. I just thought of this, is there something in the manual that would show me the notes that are coming out of Sibelius or maybe setting the keyboard up the way I like it?
Thanks.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:53 am

Let's get something straight right from the outset.

SIBELIUS IS NOT A DAW.

Now, having said that, you have to understand that, as a notation program, Sibelius treats percussion differently. It has something called a drum map, that places the various parts of a drum kit on the "correct" line or space of a standard 5-line staff in a way that most drummers can understand. So, bass drum notes are usually on the F space or E line of what is - in effect and despite the drum clef - a treble clef. Snare drum usually goes on the C space, hi hats, with the appropriate cross notehead go on the g space and so on.

You can set up a drum map of your own, so that pressing a specific key on your MIDI keyboard will place a note on the correct line or space, but I can't really spend the next three hours giving you a tutorial. You can find all the information you need in the fully searchable manual by pressing F1 with sibelius open. Search for drum map.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

sus4

Post by sus4 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:09 pm

Mike, thanks for your replay.....as usual. I know that Sibelius in not a DAW. I know the difference between a DAW and a notation program. I'll check out the manual as per your suggestion.

juankax
Sibelius Version: 3
Operating System: Windows

Post by juankax » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:54 am

Hi, delete all the notes and save as a Manuscript Paper.