Saving a part as a pdf defaults to "Untitled"

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
lesparapluies
Sibelius Version: 18.1.0f1449
Operating System: Mac

Post by lesparapluies » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:15 pm

After using Sibelius for more than 20 years, I have an issue with saving a part as a pdf. Previously the file name always defaulted to the name of the piece of the music, as per the .sib file. It now defaults to "Untitled". This has only just started to happen in the past couple of days; is it a known issue or have I accidentally re-set a hidden parameter somewhere? Any advice welcome

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:45 pm

If you have typed a title into the title field in the score info page, it will generally default to that. If you don't give the piece a title when you set it up, it doesn't have anything to substitute.

If you believe you have given the piece a title, make sure you typed it into the Score info page for the SCORE and not for one of the parts. (i.e. with the full score in view, open the File Info page).
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

lesparapluies

Post by lesparapluies » Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:40 am

Thanks for your advice. The proper title is definitely there in the Score Info, and the .sib file has the title also, but the pdf dialogue box still just appears as Untitled. I've tried opening files from a few months ago which I know have had pdf parts generated without this problem, but they now appear as Untitled also. I'm almost certain this must be an issue with the latest Mac OS which I think was updated fairly recently; is there a way to report this directly to Avid?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:15 pm

Yes. Go to the official avid sibelius site here https://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/helpce ... ;groupid=3

Justin Tokke is your man.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

lesparapluies

Post by lesparapluies » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:20 pm

Thanks for the reply Mike. Usual response - basically "we're not interested, but you might want to visit a page which is long defunct and has a "404" notification". I've heard it said in a few circles that Avid are really only concerned with making money out of Sibelius rather than making it work properly, and I'm starting to believe it. Have had more issues with Sibelius in the past year than I've had in the previous 20 years. But I do appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Jarrell
Sibelius Version: 2023.2

Post by Jarrell » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:26 pm

lesparapluies wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:20 pm
Thanks for the reply Mike. Usual response - basically "we're not interested, but you might want to visit a page which is long defunct and has a "404" notification". I've heard it said in a few circles that Avid are really only concerned with making money out of Sibelius rather than making it work properly, and I'm starting to believe it. Have had more issues with Sibelius in the past year than I've had in the previous 20 years. But I do appreciate your taking the time to reply.
I would go to the official Avid forum that Mike provided, and ask there. Are you saying that you were not able to reach that forum (your 404 reference)? There are many more supportive and helpful users there, as well as people like Justin from Avid. This forum is the one that is pretty defunct; the official one is much more active and helpful.

When you post there, be sure to post the exact version of Sibelius (including Artist, Ultimate etc.), Mac or Windows, and which OS version you are running.

I understand your negativity, but if you think about it, it is more likely that Avid is both concerned with making money and making their products work properly... after all, all large complex software (macOS, Windows, Logic, Cubase, PhotoShop etc.) have bugs. Anyway, good luck!

lesparapluies

Post by lesparapluies » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:18 am

Interestingly, after I read your post I tried again the link which Mike had posted and it took me to a completely different page from the one it took me to a few days ago.. broken link maybe? Anyway, that page is much more helpful so hopefully can move forward, thanks again