A flat and F# as signature

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 14, 2004 6:44 am

How can I "invent" (as Mr Bartók did) a signature consisting in A flat and F#? An invented tonality? Must i use a "trick" or is there a "clean" way?

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:58 pm

Wouldn't it be easiest just to add the accidentals as required, and use
a key signature of C? I think the players would also prefer it, since it would spare them from having to get used to a totally outlandish key in order to remember the "automatic" accidentals.

Orchestral horn parts, for example, are always given without any sharps or flats in the key signature (which is key-of-C), and accidentals are written out as needed.

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:06 am

Suppose you work at Boosey & Hawkes and you must write a new edition of Bartók's "Mikrokosmos". Would you say to your boss:

"Hi, you guy, the Béla was only trying to look strange; let's just add the accidentals as required, and use a key signature of C, players would also prefer it - it's easier"

How long would you last in your chair?

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 27, 2004 6:30 pm

There is no reason to slavishly follow the composer's original notation.
For example, look at the scores of Berlioz as originally published (soprano clefs and all), or those of many other composers. The horn parts in Berlioz, Wagner, and others are nowadays played by the horn in F (possibly with B-flat extension) and are best written out that way, rather than cluttering the score with parts for nonexistent horns crooked in E, A, D, or what have you.

The use of quarter tones is justified and musically necessary, and a standard notation exists for them. Bartok's use of the a-flat, f-sharp key signature is neither necessary nor standard and is best not followed. I don't care what the boss says (unless I am the boss :wink:).

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:46 pm

I don't know of a good way.

I suppose that I'm stating the obvious, but you can place the symbols # or b on the staff. [Create>Symbol] Unfortunately, the playback will still be in C, ignoring your custom made key signature.

Also, you will have add the custom key sig to each line in the score, but at least the printed music will reflect your novel keys.

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:11 pm

Anonymous wrote:How can I "invent" (as Mr Bartók did) a signature consisting in A flat and F#? An invented tonality? Must i use a "trick" or is there a "clean" way?
There is no clean way. Trickery is needed. Use a symbol for one of the inflections, and use MIDI pitch bend messages to change the pitch of those notes. You need only work out the midi message once, and copy it each time. Don't forget that the message will effect all notes on that channel, so you might need to use hidden notes in another stave occasionally.

Also, don't forget to turn off the MIDI bend just before the start of the next note.

If you are the sort of person who is capable of writing a plug-in, or you know someone like that, it's an ideal task to be automated.