creating ruled pages

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Martha Owen

Post by Martha Owen » Thu Mar 11, 2004 2:51 am

Is there a way to get Sibelius to print out ruled pages (preferably ruled
on both sides, like standard music paper for sketching out musical ideas)?
I know there's a way to produce completely blank pages, but I want to get pages that show all system staves, without any barlines, notes, etc. Thanks.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:42 am

I think you can do this by hiding all rests and barlines. Then you can
print out the pages, which should contain nothing but ruled staves. There's probably a way to print on both sides of each page too.

Alan

Post by Alan » Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:56 am

The best (easiest) way to do what you want is as follows.

Create a new score (Alt-F n). Choose some instruments and add them to the score (e.g., organ manual and pedals). Click the Finish button.

Now comes the key step. Type alt-S y (edit styles, staff type). Uncheck
all the boxes in the dialog. Your score will then consist of nothing but ruled staves, except that measure numbers may be present. To get rid of those, edit System Style -> Engraving Rules; choose Bar Numbers from the box on the left, and check the option No Bar Numbers in the box on the right.

You can now print out your "score" and get ordinary ruled music paper with no barlines, clefs, etc. This is convenient because when sketching music one's main focus is in keeping hold of the idea and scribbling it down on paper. One can't be bothered with niceties such as bar lines, measures having the correct number of beats, general musical correctness, etc. All one needs is a written record containing all that is needed to construct a finished score LATER.

So you can use Sibelius to supply all your music paper for sketching, there's no need to buy music paper from the store anymore.