Flexitime sound delay

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
houndtor

Post by houndtor » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:39 pm

My MIDI keyboard is connected to my computer via a Midi Mate USB interface. Playing in Flexitime there is a delay between striking the notes and the notes sounding. Notation is impossible. The note value of a successive crotchet beat is notated incorrectly let alone any music, which appears on the score as a mad mess. My computer's soundcard is one built into the motherboard. If it is a better, separate soundcard I need, or if the problem is due to something else, I would be very grateful for help. At the moment I'm stuck, having to do all my piano notation by the keypad, which is very labour intensive. Thanks.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:52 pm

For successful live input you need a few things.

1) a good ASIO capable soundcard, with good ASIO drivers, with the latency cranked right down as low as possible. Something like an M-Audio card will work with latencies as low as 1 millisecond. You would then need to crank up the latency back up for playback of a large score, so maybe a compromise figure of 10ms latency is about right.
2) your input keyboard's connection is via a MIDI/USB adaptor. These can have some latency, especially cheaper ones. Make sure that you have a decent make and then make sure you have the latest drivers for the adaptor, if it's not class-compliant (ie it doesn't need drivers for XP)
3) you need the ability to compensate for the latency you end up with, just like an organist will allow for the latency between pressing the keys and hearing the sound from the pipes. Practise!

Andy
PS - yes, I'm an organist, it comes 'naturally' to me!