I can't tie any notes from a MIDI-imported file!

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
mpalmer123

Post by mpalmer123 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:01 am

Okay, here's a stumper! I import a file from MIDI, then I try to tie notes together and it doesn't work! Here's one measure of quarter notes extracted from the file. Download it and see if you can make it work. Tie any or all of these notes together and make the rhythm sound correctly. If you succeed at this, please let me know what you did, because I tie them every which way and still hear all 8 notes!

http://mwp.jaycloidt.com/TieTest2007.sib

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:25 am

mpalmer123 wrote:Tie any or all of these notes together and make the rhythm sound correctly. If you succeed at this, please let me know what you did, because I tie them every which way and still hear all 8 notes!
The notes imported from a MIDI file come with their own 'Live' performance data, and you can turn this off or leave it on (lightning flash in the transport window in v.4 or Shift-L).

Each of the quavers (eighths) in your example has a live duration of 118 (look in the Performance pane of the Properties window), which is less than the length of a quaver (128) in Sibelius. So they are set to be played short, and stop before they can 'tie over' to the next note.

Turn off Live Playback and you will hear any ties you put in.

mpalmer123

Post by mpalmer123 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:24 pm

Thanks, this worked!