Using Sibelius for Film Scoring

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
Daxxus

Post by Daxxus » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:12 pm

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to figure out if Sibelius 3 Pro is right for me. I know it is for overall scoring etc. However I have a question regarding a theoretical use. I truly hope someone can help me with this possibility.

I'm working on a film partial score for Columbia Pictures and have the following gear.

Hardware:
Roland VS-2480 24 Track Digital Recording Workstation
Music dedicated P4 3.0E Ghz with USB 2.0 (all kinds of stuff for that)
Layla 24 Echo Audio Sound Card (Kernel level MIDI)
(Various keyboards, bass guitars, etc.)

Software:
GigaStudio 3
Cubase SX 3
Drumkit from Hell 2
(Various other software)

Question (Idea):
GigaStudio 3 has a MIDI in capability. The sounds in GigaStudio are amazing -- the samples are truly realistic.
For parts that are rather difficult to pull off on a keyboard !LIVE!, to record the part in GigaStudio, I write the part using a step sequencer in my keyboard then play it back and record that in GigaStudio using their sounds.
Can I write the music using Sibelius, play it in Sibelius so the MIDI goes OUT of Sibelius and INTO GigaStudio the same way as before except without the keyboard?

I'm going to try this with the Demo version of Sibelius tonight, but I was wondering if anyone has ever tried something like this.

Thanks for your time and input.

alysenet

Post by alysenet » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:20 am

You may have already joined the _Yahoo_ Sibelius group, but if you haven't, you may want to try it... They are more responsive than this group seems to be. It takes a bit of doing to sign up, if I remember, but they're a great group. Here's their home page: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sibelius-list/

Daxxus

Post by Daxxus » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:06 am

Hey thanks!

I will.