delay when recording from electric piano

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
Niall

Post by Niall » Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:28 pm

Hi

When I try to record into Sibelius using my electric piano (a yamaha P60 if that's relevant) there is a semiquaver delay. The piano is connected to the PC through a USB midi interface thing, and I wondered if that is the problem. The PC itself has loads of memory and has a fast processor so it's definitely not to do with that.

Getting really frustrated....please help!!!!!!

N

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:41 pm

Niall wrote:The PC itself has loads of memory and has a fast processor so it's definitely not to do with that.
Doesn't necessarily follow. If you are using a soft synth (e.g. Kontakt Player or Microsoft SW Wavetable synth) there are latency issues which would account for the delay. You really need to use a separate soundcard or external sounds for flexitime. Perhaps you need to do input using your piano's own sounds, rather than instrumental sounds.

You may also need to set the flexibility to "None" (in Notes > Flexitime Options). Otherwise Sibelius tries to follow your beat, and might be slowing down to wait for you - and then you slow down to wait for it!

abath07

Post by abath07 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:22 am

Same problem encountered with a Yamaha P120 .

I understand what you wrote for a solution:
"You really need to use a separate soundcard or external sounds for flexitime. Perhaps you need to do input using your piano's own sounds, rather than instrumental sounds. "

But how to handle the metronome? Where do you suggest sending it if one is using the sound on their didgital piano? Is the metronome assignable to a different channell or what? I don't want it playing a note repeatadly on the digital piano. It needs to play a click sound without latency.

abath07

Post by abath07 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:36 am

Found these suggestions among other posts on this board:

* There's a button marked "CLICK" under the NOTES...FLEXITIME Option menu that lets you set up the metronome paraemters.

* Make sure you have the settings right - e.g. check MIDI THROUGH etc in the Devices dialog and make sure the mixer has the click track set to Chanel 10 for normal MIDI devices and is not MUTE or turned down or anything of that nature.

If your keyboard does not have a drum patch, you will need to change the channel of the Click to something other than 10 and choose a suitable patch. 115 is a good one. It will play 'notes' on a woodblock instead of beats, but you quickly get used to that..

* If you are using a soft synth (e.g. Kontakt Player or Microsoft SW Wavetable synth) there are latency issues which would account for the delay. You really need to use a separate soundcard or external sounds for flexitime. Perhaps you need to do input using your piano's own sounds, rather than instrumental sounds.

* You may also need to set the flexibility to "None" (in Notes > Flexitime Options). Otherwise Sibelius tries to follow your beat, and might be slowing down to wait for you - and then you slow down to wait for it!

* Install an "Asio" driver for the sound card.

ring479

Post by ring479 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:21 pm

granny wrote:Âñå ïèäàðàñû! Îäèí ß - Ä`àðòàíüÿí!
HEy! You stole my idea! i was gonna say that.. :(