MIDI keyboard - sustained single sound. Volume is very low.

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
charlesh

Post by charlesh » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:42 pm

Sibelius 5.2 upgrade. Connecting Roland PC 200 to Creative SB Live! Value. Two questions:
1. Sound is too low, setting volume to max in Kontakt Player as well in Windows Play control (Windows XP Home) and also in the loudspeakers amp the sound.volume is very low coming from the speakers (otherwise the speakers are OK in other apps.)
2. While working with Sib 5 in a score I use the Roland keyboard and play the sound (again too low!). Occasionally a single sound is sustained and I can not get rid of it unless I completely turn off Sib and restart it. Please advise, thank you.
Charles

thesoundsmith

Post by thesoundsmith » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:20 am

The sound is low if there are no dynamics presented (try entering an mf at the top of the line) or if they are low. I had the same issue, and still do on soft sections. But the dynamic range works well the way they have it configured, so I just turned everything up and live with it...
Dasher

It's all about the music. I keep telling myself that...

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:37 am

Try altering the touch reponse curve in the PC200. By default I find it outputs rather low key on velocity values in 'normal' playing.

I'd also invest in a proper audio card. Using the SB Live Value is strangling Sib+Kontakt. Try something cheap but good - M Audio Delta 2496 is my choice. You can put it in alongside the Live if you want, they'll co-exist OK.

charlesh

Post by charlesh » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:42 pm

Thanks for advises.I was already thinking to install the 2496 soundcard.
Still any suggestion for the sustained sound? I found out that it comes up with violin solo or string chords but not with piano. Also I can stop it by hitting the same sound key on the Roland a second or more times. But it interrupts the playing sequence.

andyg

Post by andyg » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:54 pm

The sustained notes are caused by MIDI Note Off messages not getting through for some reason.This is probably still happening when you use piano, but the decay of the piano is masking the problem. I know I had a few problems with my PC200/SB Live combination years ago. I can't remember what I did back then to solve them, but of the two items, I'd suspect the SB Live. Great gamer cards but not so hot for serious music use.

charlesh

Post by charlesh » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:21 am

Thank you andyg. You are right, all other instruments also produce the sustained sound. Since I am not a PC savvy person, could you possible help to trace (or even possibly correct) the problem? I tried to change the "after touch" in the PC-200, didn't help. Reverb?
As long as you indicated to have a PC-200, could you help me with another question? The Octave Up and Down buttons shift by 2 octaves not one up and down. How could I reset it to a single octave change?
Also adjusting velocity and volume, I mostly corrected the volume problem.
Thanks again. Regards Charles

andyg

Post by andyg » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:32 am

The problems you describe with the octave shift sound like a fault. Maybe you have a faulty PC200 and that's causing all your problems. can you try another keyboard?

charlesh

Post by charlesh » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:21 pm

Hello andyg
I found that if I use PowerTrack Prof 10 I don't have the sustained sound problem. Apparently, the problem is not with the PC200 or not sending the sound off MIDI message from keyboard to PC. It is with Sib 5. So we need to start to look at the Sib.
Regards, Charles
Oooops; Just found out that reverb was set to concert hall. When I removed reverb completely, the sustained sound problem disappeared!
But even so, any reverb should not create this problem, people at Sib should be aware of this.

charlesh

Post by charlesh » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:13 pm

All right, I replaced the the soundcard, installed Audiophile 2496. Also replaced the Roland PC-200 keyboard with a Behringer UMX61.
Same problem with hanging notes (sustained sound) with both keyboards. Only way to stop it to rehit the same key (sometimes several times). Previous thoughts with reverb etc, do not work.
Low volume issue was solved.

yuanyelss

Post by yuanyelss » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:19 am

I'd also invest in a proper audio card. Using the SB Live Value is strangling Sib+Kontakt. Try something cheap but good - M Audio Delta 2496 is my choice. You can put it in alongside the Live if you want, they'll co-exist OK.

buy cartier pens online,cheap cartier bracelets
cheap Cartier Earring in Stainless Steel with Rose Gold Plated and Dii