Midi playback issues!

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
laet1547

Post by laet1547 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:47 pm

Help! I downloaded a midi file from and played it back in QuickTime Player and it sounded exactly like the sample however after loading a midi file in to Sibelius 5.2.5 build 37, it sounded totally different. why is that? here are my computer specs. iMac OS X 10.5.6 How do I make Sibelius playback what I hear in QuickTime?

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:51 pm

laet1547 wrote:How do I make Sibelius playback what I hear in QuickTime?
It is possible that you are using a different playback device - set Sibelius to use the default playback device (in the Open MIDI file dialog or in the Play > Playback Devices dialog).

Or it may be that some MIDI messages are being treated differently by Sibelius - again, check the settings in the dialog to make sure all the right control codes etc are being imported.

laet1547

Post by laet1547 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:11 pm

I tried what you suggested, but got the same results.

I opened the midi file, in the "open midi file" box I selected mid file uses this sound set: choose General Midi.

keep track names

Hide empty straves

in the Time codes I choose, import markers as hit points and use frame rate from SMPTE header.
Transcription: Use multiple voices

all instruments sound different than the quick time playback why?

Sebasian

Post by Sebasian » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:15 am

laet1547 wrote:all instruments sound different than the quick time playback why?
You didn't say that you had changed the playback device (in Play > Playback Devices). So if you mean the staves are using the wrong instruments, you may still need to check that the playback device is set to Default.

If the instruments are the correct instruments but there is still a marked difference in performance, try turning on Live Playback. That will reproduce the velocities, start-times and durations of the MIDI import. You might also need to check that there is nothing odd about the mixer - double click the volume sliders to make them the default setting.

After that, you may need to see if there is anything in the Performance settings (Rubato etc.) which may be changing playback. After that I run out of ideas.