Changing the MIDI Channel of a staff during playback?

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
Wolflux

Post by Wolflux » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:59 pm

As the title suggests, I'd very much like to change the MIDI Channel of a staff during playback.

I'm currently using (and producing) my music with Sibelius 6 and Miroslav Philharmonik (VST). The dynamics and articulations of MP have to be loaded into different channels and I have only 1gb of RAM so I need to record all staffs individually and then put them together in Audacity.
I have enough knowhow of Sibelius to be able to make the playback resemble a live performance fairly well (only a few notice), but it's those MIDI channels that I keep tearing off my hair about!

My question is therefore: Can I change the MIDI channels assigned to one staff without having to stop the playback, change the MIDI channel manually and THEN continue to play?

If I can, how?

Bollen

Post by Bollen » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:37 pm

Don't know if you've solved this but this was my way around it:

Tell your main part e.g. Violin fast to mute with CC119, and then assign different controller volumes to each articulation e.g. Violin Staccato CC120. Make sure to put all articulations in the same channel e.g. 1
Then in Sibelius just type ~CC119, 127 and whenever you want to use a different articulation put below the note CC119,0 and ~CC120,65 (or any other volume setting) this will mute the main violin sample and put the volume up for the articulation. To return to main violin: ~CC119,65 and ~CC120,0
If you don't know how to assign CC to samples read the manual. I normally use the procedure in Sampletank (which also runs the Philharmonik samples) then it's as simple as pressing the MIDI CTRL button and then pressing what you want to control. If you save this as a template then Sibelius will always play the right sounds depending on the articulations. Somebody said this was also possible using Manual Sound Sets and the dictionary. I'll have to look into that...

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:28 am

Out of interest, are you using the correct soundset for MP (the one from Jonathan Loving)?

Normally you shouldn't need to worry about channeling as Sib should take care of everything, including changes of articulation.