EWQL and Sibelius 6 Play back issues

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
Amanda Lee

Post by Amanda Lee » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Hello any EWQL user and Sibelius users!

I just purchased the Sibelius 6 update and super keen to integrate this with my EWQL Platinum library (which I run on two separate DAWs (PC) but my Sibelius I run from my Mac OSX.

My question is how do I get my EWQL library (Kontakt edition) to work with Sib 6. I have read a lot of threads on the (PLAY) success of this but not much with Kontakt. Any advice? I would like to have a least access to 64 voices, and 4 instances loaded ready for use.

Also, as another side question, I would ultimately like to send MIDI files from my Pro Tools session (7.4) to Sibelius for orchestral scoring but I am finding it still rather a mess. Would there be any advantages from a Sibelius point of view if I upgraded to Pro Tools 8?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice on these matters..

Amanda

dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:33 pm

The sound sets available for EWQL require the Play version and not the Kontakt version, I'm afraid. You can use the Kontakt versions, but you'll need to construct manual sound sets for them: see 'Using a multi-channel virtual instrument without a sound set' in 'Working with virtual instruments' in Help > Documentation > Sibelius Reference.

Regarding Pro Tools, the big advantage in Pro Tools 8 is the Sibelius-powered Score Editor, and the ability to send the notation from your Pro Tools session directly to Sibelius as a Sibelius file, which is much better than sending files via MIDI.

jloving

Post by jloving » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:17 am

There are two versions of the EWQLSO sound set - one for the original edition (which shipped with Kompakt) and one for the updated PLAY release.

Kontakt 2 or Kontakt 3 are required and are the only supported samplers for the EWQLSO [Kontakt] sound sets, simply because those are the only two applications that allow for sample autoloading with EWQLSO.

Although I do not support Kompakt, you may find that you can still use the sound sets if you make several changes first since the sample programming is the same. You should consider using the Sibelius provided Sound Set Editor to change the sound set type from "Kontakt" to "Fixed" (or change it to "MIDI" if you wish to use Kompakt outside of Sibelius). This will allow you to take advantage of all the patch definitions, keyswitches, and controllers (as well as pre-mapped percussion) within the context of a manual sound set.

Please note that I cannot provide detailed support for a sound set that has been modified to this degree, I'm just presenting it as an alternative option. You can download the sound sets here: http://soundsets.jonathanloving.com

Best,
Jonathan
soundsets(at)jonathanloving.com
Jonathan Loving - The Sibelius Sound Set Project http://soundsets.jonathanloving.com

For Sound Set support please email soundsets(at)jonathanloving.com

Amanda Lee

Post by Amanda Lee » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:20 am

dspreadbury wrote:The sound sets available for EWQL require the Play version and not the Kontakt version, I'm afraid. You can use the Kontakt versions, but you'll need to construct manual sound sets for them: see 'Using a multi-channel virtual instrument without a sound set' in 'Working with virtual instruments' in Help > Documentation > Sibelius Reference.
Thanks so much for your speedy assistance! I have successfully managed to load 34 voices using my EWQL sample library into Sibelius this way thanks to your suggestion - I'll admit it was time consuming but worth it!

In appreciation,

Amanda

dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:07 am

Apologies for the misinformation about the availability of soundsets for the Kontakt version of EWQLSO.

Amanda Lee

Post by Amanda Lee » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:10 am

jloving wrote: You should consider using the Sibelius provided Sound Set Editor to change the sound set type from "Kontakt" to "Fixed" (or change it to "MIDI" if you wish to use Kompakt outside of Sibelius). This will allow you to take advantage of all the patch definitions, keyswitches, and controllers (as well as pre-mapped percussion) within the context of a manual sound set.
Excellent! Great advice. Thank you very much Jonathan.

Amanda