Channel changes in Sibelius 5.

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
Larry Mal

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:56 am

Hello all, I'm using Sibelius 4.5 and Kontakt 3.5, with the Kirk Hunter sounds in it. I am trying to have one violin go from pizzicato to arco, by putting the pizzicato samples on Channel 1 in Kontakt, and the arco samples on Channel 2. I can't for the life of me figure out how to have Sibelius make such a simple change for me on measure 9. Any help? Thanks, L

(I've also posted this in the beginner's section, but so far, no luck. I'm trying it here to see if I have better luck. Thanks, L)

dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:13 am

You need to make sure that the sound ID you have specified for the pizz. and arco sounds in the Manual Sound Sets page of Play > Playback Devices match the sound IDs used by the instruments you're using to switch between.

Try setting channel 1 to the sound ID "strings.violin" and channel 2 to the sound ID "strings.violin.pizzicato".

Now simply type "pizz." at bar 9, and Sibelius should figure out that if it's using channel 1 to play back the arco sounds, it should use channel 2 to play back the pizz. sounds.

Larry Mal

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:13 pm

I very much appreciate your reply. However, I had read that, but find that I am unable to click on the button the says "use manual sound sets" in order to set that up with any of the Kontakt players that I have to work with. Obviously there is something simple that I still don't understand, something so simple that I can't seem to find it in the manual either.

I entered in "Pizzicato" and that allowed nothing to me. I can't click on the Channel portion of the screen nor anything else. I do have the Kontakt player loaded with two Channels, the pizz. and the arco.

Any thoughts? I'm sure it's something very simple I'm missing. Thanks for your help.
Attachments
Screen shot 2010-03-22 at 9.08.42 AM.png
Screen shot 2010-03-22 at 9.08.42 AM.png (136.13 KiB) Viewed 6138 times

dspreadbury

Post by dspreadbury » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:19 pm

Go to the Playback page of Preferences and switch on the 'Allow manual sound sets' checkbox to enable manual sound sets for Kontakt devices.