Recording and playback of pipe organ music

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
rowan_bradley

Post by rowan_bradley » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:41 pm

I'm looking for a system that will allow me to record the music I play on a pipe organ, which may have up to four manuals plus pedals, including all the drawstop settings, so the music can later be played back on the same organ or a different one. I would like the music to be recorded as midi files. I would like to be able to modify the recorded music, e.g. to add another verse to a hymn, and to change the registration of the added verse to make it louder or softer, or to make it faster or slower. Ideally I would like to be able to create new music from scratch using Sibelius or a similar program and play it on the organ.
Does any such system exist?
Will Sibelius do all of this?
If not, will it work with a midi sequencer program to achieve all of this? Which midi sequencer works best with Sibelius?

My organ uses a proprietary communication system for the data which travels between the console and the organ (i.e. it's not native midi). Is it possible to write a plug-in or input-output driver for Sibelius so it can import music played on the organ console, and so that it can play Sibelius scores on the organ (as if playing it on a midi instrument but using the organ's proprietary protocol)?

Thanks - Rowan

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:07 pm

What you want depends very much on the capabilities of the organ.

1) Let me just check. Does it actually have MIDI? If not, stop reading and forget the whole idea, unless you're into writing computer code that would convert your organ's control data into MIDI, or can have some form of MIDI interface retrofitted to the console. Such interfaces are available and can be fitted.
2) If it does, or if you can fit MIDI to it, it would need to transmit and receive all the data you mention.
3) If yes to all the above, such things are possible, though I'd honestly recommend a sequencer for this rather an a notation package like Sibelius. You don't actually use a sequencer with Sibelius, the two items would be separate, though they could exchange data via MIDI files. That in itself is another can of worms that has been opened many times both here and on the official Sibelius forum.