LORD JESUS PLEASE HELP ME WITH SIBELIUS ON MY MAC

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
momartin

Post by momartin » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:25 am

I am not a mac user. But I just recieved one from my school. I arranged a song for my students on a PC. Then, I transferred my sibelius 4 over to my new macbook. The program seems to work fine, but I CANT GET A SOUND OUT OF IT!

I have gone to Play; Playback and input devices; and changed my Soundset like 50 times. I'm about to go crazy. PLEASE HELP

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:27 am

Did you transfer over and install Sibelius Sounds? Have you made sure that the playback device is using your Mac's audio card?

momartin

Post by momartin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:34 am

The only Sibelius sounds I've installed are Kontakt Silver. I'm not sure if Sibelius is using my Mac audio card?

The opening progression plays when Sibelius 4 starts up. When I go into Playback and Input devices, I can click on Kontakt player silver and it will play a scale. There is a second option under that called general midi which might need to be changed?

This seems to be the error message I get related to this problem: "A MIDI device can't be used. You could choose Playback and Input Devices from the Play menu and set only one device to be used; or if you've changed the MIDI devices installed in your computer, click Find New Devices."

When I click Find New Devices, it selects "general midi," this is where I start going in circles. The error message says, A MIDI DEVICE CANT BE USED!

andyg

Post by andyg » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:24 am

Make sure that you are only using Kontakt Silver, not General MIDI. So that's the only one with Yes selected.

Do, however, remember that Silver is a rather limited set of sounds. With Sibelius 7 on the horizon, this might just be a time to search for some good upgrade/purchase deals on Sibelius 6, if your wallet and computer can handle it. It's worth every penny/cent.

momartin

Post by momartin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:11 pm

I wish, I applied to get Sibelius 6 and there was no money in the budget so the strings teacher gave me his old Sibelius 4!

This is what my screen looks like. I'm not sure how to click "yes." I just double click on the kontakt player and it says, loading patch, plays a scale. and... no sound.
Attachments
Screen shot 2011-02-19 at 10.08.08 AM.png
Screen shot 2011-02-19 at 10.08.08 AM.png (77.24 KiB) Viewed 12564 times

andyg

Post by andyg » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:27 pm

Check the Kontakt Player options. I don't use a Mac enough to tell you what settings you should use, but I'd guess it has to use the Mac's internal audio card - DLS?

minermax

Post by minermax » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:47 pm

What Mac are you using? If it is a newer MacBook Pro with an Intel DuoCore Procesor the playback will not work! You have two choices.
1. Transfer your files to an older Mac running Sibelius(you can have two installs per copy) or
2. Upgrade to Sibelius 6.2

I had the same problem. My older version of Sibelius 3 worked fine on my new MacBook but I too could not play back. I also have an older IMac so I installed Sibelius 3 on that also and Walla! I had playback.I composed on my laptop and used a thumb drive to transfer files to IMac for playback and editing.Worked fine but cumbersome. I decided to upgrade to Sibelius 6.2 and it solved all my problems. An additional benefit is that Version 6 has much improved sound via their new sound package. They no longer use Kontact for sound. There are many other improvements in the package such as magnetic attachments, more stable screens and improved playback which makes the upgrade worthwhile. If you are a teacher you qualify for educational pricing.
Hope this helps. :!:

minermax

Post by minermax » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:47 pm

What Mac are you using? If it is a newer MacBook Pro with an Intel DuoCore Procesor the playback will not work! You have two choices.
1. Transfer your files to an older Mac running Sibelius(you can have two installs per copy) or
2. Upgrade to Sibelius 6.2

I had the same problem. My older version of Sibelius 3 worked fine on my new MacBook but I too could not play back. I also have an older IMac so I installed Sibelius 3 on that also and Walla! I had playback.I composed on my laptop and used a thumb drive to transfer files to IMac for playback and editing.Worked fine but cumbersome. I decided to upgrade to Sibelius 6.2 and it solved all my problems. An additional benefit is that Version 6 has much improved sound via their new sound package. They no longer use Kontact for sound. There are many other improvements in the package such as magnetic attachments, more stable screens and improved playback which makes the upgrade worthwhile. If you are a teacher you qualify for educational pricing.
Hope this helps. :!:

boguz

Post by boguz » Mon May 16, 2011 7:27 pm

what if you start a new score, do you have sound?