Sound ID problem - default child sound chang to mother sound

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
luc

Post by luc » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:37 am

Hi everyone, I've been working with the VSL SE sound set these days and find that if I define an instrument with defaul sound to be with a child sound id, it cannot access its mother sound with text instructions thereafter, but a mother sound can easily change to a child sound. Is it always how sibelius is supposed to work or have I do anything wrong?

for example:

I have two violin sounds: solo violin with id strings.violin; orchestral violins with id strings.violin.ensemble. In playback dictionary I have defined "solo" = "-ensemble"; "tutti" = "+ensemble".

If I set the instrument "Violin I" with default sound to be the child sound "Strings.violin.ensemble", later on when I enter "solo", it should minus "ensemble" and go to the mother sound solo violin. But in fact nothing happens!

On the other hand, if I set the instrument "Violin I" with default sound to be the mother sound "Strings.violin", then I could use "tutti" and "solo" instructions in the score just fine. But this is not the best way I would want to work it out!

So I guess a default child sound can never change back to the mother sound? Is it true or you have a way to show me?

Thanks a lot!