Midi Recording - Getting insanely complex notation.

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
JoshuaD

Post by JoshuaD » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:55 am

Whenever I record from my keyboard into sibelius, I get insanely complex notation. Here's a screen shot of me doing my C scale in 8th notes, two handed, two octaves apart:

I was playing very coordinated with the metronome.

How do I make it not do this?

The keyboard is a Yamaha P120, The computer is fast (AMD 3000+, 1Gig of ram), and I'm using a Midi Sport Uno. Sibelius Version 3.0.0 build 4.

AngryFeet

Post by AngryFeet » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:59 pm

I have the same problem, except its when I import midi's into Sibelius.
I want to be able to play them on the piano, but it's pretty much impossible with the way the notes look.

And it gets MUCH worse after that, too.

Zapruder

Post by Zapruder » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:46 am

These are two completely different problems. Since I rarely use my keyboard to create music (the computer keyb is my "pen and erasor") and I also rarely use midi import, my knowledge of any solutions is limited. But I'll try to deduce some obvious solutions.

JoshuaD
- Go to Notes > Flexi-time Options (or: Ctrl+Shift+O)
- In the Flexi-time tab, set Flexibility of tempo to "None (non rubato). This will keep the click straight as an arrow.
- In the Notation tab, select all notation items you are able to predict. The most important item will be "Adjust rhythms, Minimum duration". Also: check out the tuplet settings!
I think that Flexi-time Options will help you to get rid of most of the problems you encoutered.

AngryFeet
Your problem has to do with setting the right values when opening (importing) Midi files.
- When opening a Midi File, you will see a menu that lets you select some important elements.
- In the MIDI File tab, the use (or non-use) of voices obviously is quite important.
- The Notation tab is the same as in the "Flexi-time Options" menu.
- Of course, Note Values settings and Tuplets are important. But in your case, also the settings of the split points for Keyboard must be set correctly!
MIDI import will never be flawless. There are just too much things that Sibelius has to "guess". But setting the right parameters really will get things much closer to the truth.

Let me know if all this has been of any help

Zap
# I am NOT a "Professional Sibelius Trainer"
# Please state the Chapter(s) of the Sibelius User Guide you already searched in order to solve your problem.
# Remember that this is not an official Sibelius website.

AngryFeet

Post by AngryFeet » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:52 am

Well, my main problem now is that I don't KNOW what any of those things should be. My only musical training is a few years of piano lessons and some time in Band, so, yea. The thing Im trying to import is a piano online piece from a game.. Well, I don't know. I guess I'll try random settings and see if they help.

haynesg

Post by haynesg » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:01 am

These two examples are actually symptoms of the same problem, which is that Sibelius simply isn't very good at converting MIDI input into notation! This is one of the top items on their list of things to fix.

As Zap says, you can improve matters by twiddling with the settings; in particular you should set the "Minimum Duration" as large as possible. Usually you will also want to switch off all kinds of tuplets and the "Record into multiple voices" option.

But you'll always have to edit the notation before it's playable.

Geoff.

King

Post by King » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:22 am

I have Sibelius 4 and have had similar problems on a huge scale (importing a midi of Frank Zappa's "Inca Roads" and boy was it a mess). I've tried messing around with the Notation Tabs etc and it didn't clear it up too much. 25+ pages is far too much to clear up by hand, especially with such complex rhythms and so many layers, which also add an element of fear in switching of tuplets etc. incase it distorts some of these said rhythmic devices.

When you, haynesg, say:
Sibelius simply isn't very good at converting MIDI input into notation!
... could you possibly point me in the direction of a better and preferably free or cheap midi converter that I could use as a midway point between the MIDI file and an accurate Sibelius file?

Thanks,

King.

yuanyelss

Post by yuanyelss » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:16 am

I want to be able to play them on the piano, but it's pretty much impossible with the way the notes look. ..... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

buy cartier pens onlinecheap cartier bracelets
cheap Cartier Gold Plated Fadeless Earrings with pearlshell

dnuttall

Post by dnuttall » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:04 pm

JoshuaD wrote:Whenever I record from my keyboard into sibelius, I get insanely complex notation. {SNIP A BUNCH} How do I make it not do this?
I've also experienced the completely insane import until I leveraged other tools, particularly ProTools 9.x linked to Sibelius 6.2.

I force ProTools to be the arbiter of MIDI, whether I create the MIDI with my Motif XS-8 or I import (into ProTools) a sample from somewhere.

Import an existing MIDI as REGIONS, then put regions on their individual tracks, go to Score Edit in ProTools and then EXPORT to Sibelius.

I get relatively pristine results in Sibelius that way, although I think that if I'm trying to mirror live playing on the XS-8, it's usually better to record on the XS-8 at a somewhat slower than ideal tempo, get the rhythm fairly consistent and then when it's in ProTools the results are almost never perfect, but they do generally reflect what I actually played.

Hope that helps.
Dave

dnuttall

Post by dnuttall » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:04 am

icey wrote:you can enhance matters by using settings... "Minimum Duration" as large as possible....as well as the (NOT USE) "Record into many voices" option.

Using those two ideas IMPROVES things dramatically for me!
THANKS for sharing.
Dave Nuttall
San Antonio, Texas