Assigning staves to external MIDI channels

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
TheProgShow

Post by TheProgShow » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:16 am

I have a MacBook Pro with Sibelius 6 connected to a set of external MIDI devices (not General MIDI; these are mostly rack-mount synthesizers like the Oberheim Matrix-6R) through a Tascam US-122L audio/MIDI interface. I'm not getting this to work at all right now but what I'd really like to understand is the preferred way to assign staves or, more precisely, groups of staves (like you would for typical piano notation, i.e., one treble clef staff and one bass clef staff connected by a brace) to a particular outbound MIDI channel on the US-122L. Being able to send patch numbers on that channel is optional; the most important thing is having a systematic way to use Sibelius with a combination of internal instruments and external MIDI devices.

Thanks!

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:20 am

Sounds like you need a DAW rather than a notation app! :D

Best to ask this sort of question on the official Sibelius fprum. I'm certain it's possible, but it will take some setting up.

TheProgShow

Post by TheProgShow » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:12 am

I was eventually able to figure it out. You control it using the Mixer.

BOZ5099

Post by BOZ5099 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:18 pm

How in Heaven's name did you get this to work? I am ready to throw out Sibelius 6 and get something easier to work with!

I previously used Sibelius 4 to change channel assignments for playing songs through my church organ (Rodgers Allegiant 678). After switching to 6, the channels are no longer changeable. I need to change the channels so that selected staves could play through various manuals. For example: channel 12 for Great (lower keyboard), 13 for Swell (upper keyboard), and 14 for Pedal.

Please provide detailed steps on how this can be accomplished. I really, really would appreciate any help.

John

mike1127

Post by mike1127 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:01 am

I have a related question which I posted elsewhere in the forum..

Situation A: Sibelius plays back midi real-time

Situation B. Sibelius exports to a saved MIDI file (I'm assuming there is such a thing)

Obviously situation A is workable with non-general-midi setups, like software/hardware synthesizers with a configuration based on assignments to **midi channels**, with possible keyswitching.

General midi is a whole nuther animal because it uses program selection messages for everything and doesn't do a hard association of instrument to channel.

So obviously Sibelius does A just fine with real-time playback (with human/expressive touch) , but can it write those very same midi events to a file.