Can't export to audio (Sib.v.7)

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
miatthas

Post by miatthas » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi, I'm using Sibelius 7. I've tried exporting to audio, but I just get the error

"You can't use this playback configuration for exporting audio because it does not contain any virtual instruments. Please choose another playback configuration above."

Back in Sibelius 6, there were two configurations: "General MIDI (basic)" and "General MIDI (enhanced)". In Sibelius 7, "General MIDI (enhanced)" is no longer an option. "General MIDI (enhanced)" would export audio, but "General MIDI (basic)" wouldn't. Now that "General MIDI (enhanced)" advanced is gone, how do you export audio? Have any others experienced problems with exporting audio?

You'd think that because Sibelius 7 is supposed to have this amazing audio engine, exporting audio wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for your time.
Last edited by miatthas on Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:39 pm

Sib's engine is not the problem.

The issue is that you are not using any virtual instruments for playback. Exporting Audio requires that you do. General MIDI uses the PC's own resources.

Use Sibelius's own sounds instead. Set up a configuration that uses them.

miatthas

Post by miatthas » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:38 pm

Ok, thank you for your reply, but I'm not sure how to set up a configuration that uses virtual instruments. I created a new configuration, but couldn't find out how use virtual instruments. Sorry, I'm that experienced with this new version of Sibelius yet. Thank you for your patience.

miatthas

Post by miatthas » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:04 pm

Something else that may help, is there are no files in the virtual instruments directory. By default, Sibelius was set to look in C:\Program Files\Avid\VSTPlugins. There's nothing in the directory. Do you need to download these files separately? Thank you for your help.

andyg

Post by andyg » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:58 pm

Are you using the sounds that came with Sib 7? Have you installed them? They are virtual and they will export as audio.

You'll have to buy and install any other virtual instruments, so check out what you have on your system first.

miatthas

Post by miatthas » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:37 pm

I'm still using the demo version of Sibelius 7. Is that why there's no playback configurations for Sibelius sounds, just general midi? Is there a way to download Sibelius sounds separately, so they can be evaluated? Would purchasing the program be the only solution? If so, would the education license include the sounds?

andyg

Post by andyg » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:03 am

No, you can't download them separately.

The Educational version is the same as the 'normal' version, only the price is different. Yes it includes all the sounds and now also a 'lite' soundset for lesser-powered systems.

Rockasaurus

Post by Rockasaurus » Sat May 11, 2013 11:03 am

andyg wrote:Sib's engine is not the problem.

The issue is that you are not using any virtual instruments for playback. Exporting Audio requires that you do. General MIDI uses the PC's own resources.

Use Sibelius's own sounds instead. Set up a configuration that uses them.
Can you please tell me how to exactly do that?

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun May 12, 2013 4:59 pm

What problem are you having? If everything is installed, there shouldn't be any problems. The Play tab, over on the left has a pull-down menu of configurations.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

charleshastie

Post by charleshastie » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:24 am

Hi There,
I am using Sibelius4 with Kontack Gold and have successfully transferrd Sibelius musis files via Kontack Gold to

To Sony SoundForge10. I dont know if this will help.. But anyway here it is.

Cheers

C. R. Hastie

hazmjm

Post by hazmjm » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:44 am

Having the same issue using Sib 7 with Windows 8 - Please help - need to export audio files highlighting individual choral parts ASAP! - tried plug ins which save files but when I open them - nothing! Same thing when I try playback with anything except MIDI - no sound. Need Help!
:mrgreen:

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:00 pm

If you installed Sibelius from DVDs, did you install sounds from all 4 DVDs? The initial sound installer in on the same disc that the software is on.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

andyg

Post by andyg » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:12 am

And if you have no sound at all on playback, check your audio drivers. Not everything survived the launch of Windows 8 and you may need to update.

Janno

Post by Janno » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:16 am

I'm still using the demo version of Sibelius 7. Is that why there's no playback configurations for Sibelius sounds, just general midi?

Like the previous poster I have the same problem. I just downloaded the 30-day trial version yesterday and am trying to export to audio. I can play back my choral score but I would like to record it with one voice part highlighted so that it stands out from the rest of the recorded sounds. I changed one of the voice parts to an oboe sound by adding an oboe instrument staff. Obviously this isn't what is meant by virtual instruments. In my configuration drop down menu all that comes up is General MIDI (basic). Is this all that is included in the trial version? Anyone's help with this will be much appreciated and I really need step by step instructions. Many thanks, Jan

ebaskes

Post by ebaskes » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:52 pm

Hey,
I'm having the same issue. I can't seem to access any Configurations other than 'General MIDI (basic)'

Please give us all an answer.

Thanks!