How to implement a sound alike Leonard Cohen songs?

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
Erhy

Post by Erhy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:26 pm

Hello!

Please, is it possible to
implement a smooth sound with Sibelius 7 without additional MIDI devices?

In all my experiments with and without MIDI Control commands
the attack of each note is exaggerated.

Thank you for ideas
Erhy

My exercises:
http://www.bergbaumuseum-gruenbach.at/t ... iNoten.sib

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:41 pm

I'm assuming you're using Sibelius Sounds and that computer is adequate to run them. You need an ASIO capable soundcard and 8GB of RAM, plus a fast CPU. Anything less is compromising the results.

Now, you can tweak the sounds as much as you like, but if, in the end, you're not happy with the sounds that come with Sibelius, then your solution is to buy additional libraries. There are dozens out there.

No need for additional MIDI devices, software instruments are more than capable of producing the results if your hardware is up to the task.

But if you want TRUE realism on playback, you'll need a DAW rather than a notation app.

Erhy

Post by Erhy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Thank's for your answer Andy!

My PC runs VISTA 32 bit with 2 GB Memory.
Soon, I will have a newer one with all the recommendations.

But there should be controls to influence the levels of the ADSR envelope;
e.g. what means the sound-ID ‘envelope filter’

Also the consecutive notes with the same pitch sound too long interrupted.

Erhy

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:14 pm

With your setup, try using Sibelius Sounds Lite. Do that from Play/Configuration.
I run Sib 7 with the computer in my sig. Works just fine. An ASIO sound card would be nice but not essential.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

Erhy

Post by Erhy » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:19 pm

bobp wrote:With your setup, try using Sibelius Sounds Lite. Do that from Play/Configuration.
I run Sib 7 with the computer in my sig. Works just fine. An ASIO sound card would be nice but not essential.
The 'envelope' is always the same.
I also tried to adjust some values in the .patch files located in the 'Sibelius 7 Sounds' folder,
but this is troublesome without documentation for the internals.

After all my experiences, for such music I found .sf2 sound fonts are a good choice for me.
I tested these with the Finale Software.

Erhy

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:30 pm

I'm not sure that you can get .sf2 files to work in Sibelius. If you upgraded from Sib 6, you can use the sounds from that. Plus make sure you are using the 32 bit version. The sounds from 7 were never intended to run on a 2 gb, 32 bit system. The software will run. You can create notation just fine. but playback is a problem.
I recently was able to get Sonitina-Symphonic Orchestra to work in MuseScore. SSO is a free, fairly nice library.
Bob Porter

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:55 pm

2GB is nowhere near enough RAM. Try 8GB or even 16GB. ASIO is essential, IMHO, but you may be able to get away by using the ASIO4ALL 'driver' for a lesser quality soundcard or on-board sound chip. But it's not a universal solution and an ASIO capable card, even a low-cost one, will help ensure glitch-free playback.

And no you can't use SF2 soundfonts directly in Sibelius.

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:03 pm

Everyone's experience is different. I run Sibelius 7 on a budget laptop (with added ram). An addon system with an ASIO driver is out of the question. I tried Asio4all. It worked fine in Sibelius but was a total pain to use. As an example, if you transcribe from recordings, you know what I mean. I use the on-board Direct Sound driver. I am able to play large scores with full sounds without problem. If I were to use large sound libraries, then for sure my DS driver would not cut it.
Bob Porter