No other sounds than these in Sibelius

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
Distephano

Post by Distephano » Thu May 02, 2013 8:20 pm

Hello,

I have a problem with any other sounds except these in Sibelius.
After launching Sib I can hear all I do in Sibelius like note entering, playback etc. and cannot hear any other ones like Winamp, YouTube.
Even after closing Sibelius I have to relaunch my browser again to hear the song.

I'd like to write a score from music that I hear on YouTube and this issue is very annoying.
Any help?

I've found similar problem in the web and the solution was:
The problem was a checkbox in the options of the audio driver used by Sibelius. Path is :
Play -> Playback Devices -> Audio Engine Options -> ASIO Setup -> Uncheck the checkbox that says "Allow ASIO host application to take exclusive control of selected port configuration"
The problem is I do not have such checkbox like "Allow ASIO host application to take exclusive control of selected port configuration"
I use Sibelius First 6.2. My drivers are ASIO4ALL.

The problem is partially fixed when I play the YouTube song with my browser and during this song I launch Sibelius.
I say that the problem is partially solved because in such case I hear the song from my speakers attached to external USB audio device and the Sibelius sounds come from my laptop speakers (no deep bass and low quality sounds).

I'm really confused.

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu May 02, 2013 8:51 pm

Asio4all is a very jealous driver. Once you turn it on in Sibelius, no other device will have sound. In Sib 7 there is a setting to release the sound card if Sibelius is in the background. It doesn't always work. It might work with an ASIO card, but not always with ASIO4ALL. If you need to which between Sibelius and some other sound source(like I do) then you may need to try a different driver. I use the Direct Sound (DS) driver. Works fine for me.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

Distephano

Post by Distephano » Thu May 02, 2013 11:09 pm

Thanks mate :)
It helped.

I use ASIO4ALL because of the latency while working on REASON software with my MIDI keyboard.

And here there's no need to use ASIO driver while using Sibelius acually.

Thank you once again.
I owe you a beer. Planning to visit Poland this summer? You can sleep 4 free at my place :)

P.S.
I'm trying to orchestrate BattleField 1942 main theme to my brother's string quartett :)
Now I can work faster and in much more comfort.

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri May 03, 2013 11:54 am

Excellent. Glad it helped. I'd love to take you up on that beer, but I don't think I'll be in your neck of the woods anytime soon.
Sounds like a fun project for string quartet.
Laptops are much more powerful than they used to be, but still don't have the guts of a desktop. I do most everything on my laptop, yet have a desktop for some of the really heavy duty stuff.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

THENOOBIEST

Post by THENOOBIEST » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:11 am

youtube asio favi