Velocities in midi files exported to Pro Tools

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
allanfelipe

Post by allanfelipe » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:00 am

Hello,
When I export a midi file in Sibelius and import it in Pro Tools, it seems that the velocities are all randomized within a certain range. I tried to input the notes manually, I tried to use a midi controller, I also made some testes with hairpin and dynamic marks. The only notes I have full control over velocity are the ones with live playback / velocities activated. I don't record in real time, just step-time with alphanumeric keys or controller + numeric keys. Is there a way to make the velocities always constant unless told otherwise?

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:12 am

As I understand it, Sibelius is not midi based software. You have discovered the only way to control velocities. Perhaps export as an XML.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

allanfelipe

Post by allanfelipe » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:55 am

I just don't know where the slight randomization is coming from. I thought it could be a feature but I can't find anything on the manual. Unfortunately Pro Tools doesn't import music xml, so the communication between both without rewire (at least in the direction Sibelius-> Pro Tools) must include a midi file ;( That's why I'm trying to understand exactly what is being exported in a midi file.

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:14 pm

I suppose if you aren't interested in going the "velocities activated" route, the next step might be to see how Pro tools is importing the midi file.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

allanfelipe

Post by allanfelipe » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:44 am

I guess I forgot to answer my post after I found out the answer a long time ago :roll: Well, better late than never, it might be useful to someone. The setting I was looking for is Play/Performance/Style-Espressivo, which should be set to "Meccanico".