Assigning samples to playback depending on the enharmonic

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
Arcana
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by Arcana » Sun May 06, 2018 8:24 am

Hi,

I have created a sample instrument in the SFZ player using samples of a prepared harp that I recorded. I have samples for every note from C2-B4 (diatonically so just the 21 white notes). The prepared harp produces very different results depending on whether the pedals are flat, natural or sharp. So I recorded 3 sets of C2-B4, one where every note is flat, one where every note is natural and one where every note is sharp. I have loaded the 3 sets onto the same range in the SFZ player and I can alternate between them using key switches.

I’ve got the instrument working in Sibelius and it is playing back the samples correctly. Now I want to be able to tell Sibelius which sample to trigger depending on the accidental. For example I want the notated pitch C#3 to trigger my C#3 sample and the notated pitch Db3 to trigger my Db3 sample rather than giving me the same sample, which it currently does. I’m hoping that I can eliminate the need for key switching.

I’m pretty new to this. I had never heard of SFZ, XML, sound sets, sound IDs until 2 days ago. I’ve been trawling the manual, forums, youtube and I just can’t figure out how to do this! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using sibelius 7.5 on Mac OS X 10.7.5.

Thanks.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun May 06, 2018 3:38 pm

The problem is that you are trying to use Sibelius as though it were a DAW. It's not. Sure it has some mid. functions, but it's not really midi based. You can use other libraries but there has to be a custom sound set to make it work. Playback is not Sibelius' strong point. It's not intended to be.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop