Playback stops while file is open

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
harrisonjcollins
Sibelius Version: 2020.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by harrisonjcollins » Wed May 23, 2018 12:40 am

Hi, new member here, four-year user of Sibelius. A little background before I explain the issue- This is an issue I dealt with for a long time without ever figuring out, before I switched from using Sibelius 7 sounds to using Noteperformer by Wallander Instruments- since I switched, I never had the problem again. Recently, out of curiosity, I switched the configuration on a file from Noteperformer back to Sibelius 7 Sounds to hear it with those sounds- IMMEDIATELY, this issue presented itself again, and now, even after switching that single file back to Noteperformer, I am now experiencing this issue again. Another note- it is a speaker problem too, which I know is not a Sibelius problem, but I am confident that it is a direct result of Sibelius.

Now, the issue is that my speakers will stop playing back the sound on a Sibelius file after a short period of time that seems to vary slightly but averages around 30 seconds to a minute. According to Audio Engine Options under Playback Devices, I am using the interface of my speakers, and switching to another interface and back does not fix the issue. It has actually gotten worse- I've since opened one file that will not play back at all now, despite every sound setting having never been changed for several months.

The other part of this is that the speakers stop playing back ANYTHING- including any sound outside of Sibelius. I can restart the speakers, which will get them to play things outside of Sibelius correctly, but it will not fix the issue within Sibelius, and I have to restart Sibelius to get it to play back again- which only works for a minute or so until the problem repeats. Even when I'm not running Sibelius, the speakers will cut off and require being restarted to work again every few minutes.

Again, this did not happen until I switched the configuration from Noteperformer to Sibelius 7 Sounds. I'm really at a loss for what's happening, and I'm not tech-savvy enough with my speakers or with Sibelius to know what it is or how to look for the cause. Can anyone help me figure out what might be happening?

Thanks in advance for your time and attention,

Harrison

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Wed May 23, 2018 5:44 am

Are these bluetooth speakers? I use some and they can be troublesome. However, it is unlikely to be Sibelius causing the problem. Check that Windows is not turning off power to them because of your power settings. Go to Device manager and look for your speaker drivers and at the bluetooth device. Somewhere in there will be a tab on the device's properties dialog that says "Power management". Even if you are on a laptop, untick the box to allow windoes to turn off the device to save power. See if that makes a difference and get back to us. Also, make sure all your sound hardware drivers are absolutely up-to-date. These are one of the biggest causes of audio problems. Do not trust windows to do this, go to the manufacturer's website and check with them.

If you use a wireless mouse, also check your battery doesn't need changing. I have had all kinds of strange problems caused by a failing battery in my wireless mouse.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

harrisonjcollins
Sibelius Version: 2020.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by harrisonjcollins » Sat May 26, 2018 2:35 am

Mike,

Thanks for the help! It is much appreciated.

I use the AKAI pro EIE "Electromusic Interface Expander" with two KRK Rokit 5 speakers. Would you be able to translate these Windows suggestions to Mac, which I use (desktop mac mini)? In the sound output settings of Mac's system preferences, with the EIE I get "the selected device has no output controls". I have yet to find any way of managing power to the degree that you describe.

I still am not sure- this has not been an issue for over a year, and immediately started after I changed something specific within Sibelius. And Sibelius is causing it to disconnect sooner that it would when Sib is not on/open.

I did replace the battery in my wireless mouse- I'll see if anything changes.