listening to mp3 while using Sibelius

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
fjpetro

Post by fjpetro » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:27 am

I do a lot of arranging and transcribing. I would like to play an mp3 and still hear Sibelius sounds when I play along with mp3 but my sound device, RealTek audio keeps switching from one app to the other, silencing the one I am not "using." Does anyone know how I can fix this? I have managed to deal with the switching back and forth, but Sibelius will not let me choose WASABI when the mp3 app is open. It crashes. It works with DS, but the latency is very long. Has anyone dealt with this issue as well? I am running Windows 8.1 64 bit. Thanks for your time and advice!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:13 am

Simple answer is- if you are using an ASIO or WASAPI driver in sibelius then you can't.
More complicated answer: Tick 'release device when sibelius is in background' on the Audio engine options page (Playback devices->audio engine options)
This may not work all the time, depending on how you move from sib to your mp3 player.
Alternatively, use eithe DS or MME, whichever gives you the best results.

You will have latency issues, but they can only be ameliorated by messing around with the number of samples.

Dont mess with Wasabi. You'll burn your mouth! :-D
http://www.makesushi.com/product/fresh-sawa-wasabi/
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

fjpetro

Post by fjpetro » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks Mike. I am already using the lowest sample number so I increased to sample rate to 88100, which lowered the latency by half (44 something). I did this while using DS. Any problems doing it this way? Interesting about the WASABI setting. I usually use that when I do not need to listen to an mp3. WASABI always gave me the best latency. I do not have an ASIO driver. What do you think of ASIO FOR ALL? I have used it in the past but ended up uninstalling it.

So are you saying there is absolutely no way to hear your mp3 and be able to hear Sibelius at the SAME time? I like to be able to play along with the mp3 to make sure I am transcribing parts correctly.

What about using REWIRE? I have a DAW called Mixcraft that allows me to rewire Sibelius into one of its tracks. Are there settings I should consider?

Thanks so much for your input. This can be frustrating...

Frank

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi,
Yep, IMHO, you should not change the sample rate from 44100 for any reason. It will raise incompatibility issues later down the line and the benfits are far outweighed by the pain it causes.
WASAPI is windows' attempt at ASIO and is a recent improvement to windows' handling of sound cards. ASIO and WASAPI are both (in general) single client software. Only one app can use the sound card at once.

You could try introducing a delay to match the latency between your sibelius playback and your playback device, but I don't know how successful this would be. Again, it seems very fiddly for not much gain.

I don't know anything about rewire. I have no use for it in the types of music I write and again, to me (but not necessarily to anyone one else) faffing about trying to get it right takes time away from composition/arranging. I have Cubase 8.5, but I would never find a use for putting it and sibelius together. I'm a composer, not a sound engineer :-D
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

soumenh
Sibelius Version: 202.1

Post by soumenh » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:50 am

Hi, I'm sorry you are having issues with your sound. I can't advise you on fixing this problem because I don't know what software you are using or what operating system you are running. But I can tell you that Sibelius is not an app that's playing anything. It's just manipulating sounds in the background. But, I can advise you on Download mp3 at high quality. Use only this platform because their files are compatible with any apps you are running. They use only a legit format, and you won't have any headaches with them.