Sibelius sortcuts / dictionary for sysex messages

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
vincerosso
Sibelius Version: 6
Operating System: Windows

Post by vincerosso » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:32 pm

I have been using SIbelius 6 for many years, I want to control the stops on a church organ from my scores I can add ~X messages to my scores to issue the system exclusive messages but they are quite long and unsightly on the page, I wondered if I can create a shortcut or dictionary entry to add them in a more friendly way or possibly a plugin which converts to these long messages from text like P1, P2 etc.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:55 pm

You can hide them by prefacing them with a tilde (~)
If you can still see them on the screen (they won't print) you can hide them (but I can't remember how to do it in sib 6.)
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:18 pm

In what ways are you controlling organ stops? What is it you are trying to control?
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

vincerosso

Post by vincerosso » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi Bobp

The organ is a viscount prestige ix and uses system exclusive messages to activate and deactivate the stops, combination pistons, couplers etc.
e.g. prinzipal 8' is F0 31 41 02 00 F7 to turn it on and F0 31 01 02 00 F7 to turn it off.

I can add midi message text to any part and it select the stop i want, however the text string at the beginning of a piece to set the organ up is 66 bytes long or more which makes a mess of my page.

I know these messages can be hidden but I wanted to have a shortcut named with what they do rather than some long hex message e.g. diapason 8'

I have written small plugins for Sibelius and program in C, but don't know if this is even possible.

Vince

vincerosso

Post by vincerosso » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:12 pm

MikeLyons wrote:You can hide them by prefacing them with a tilde (~)
If you can still see them on the screen (they won't print) you can hide them (but I can't remember how to do it in sib 6.)
Thanks Mike, but I was looking for something a little more than just hiding the unsightly messages.

I have posted further below

Vince

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:59 pm

One thing that I've learned about using Sibelius is that producing a score and getting Sibelius to play it like I want, are often two different things. So I usually have two different scores. One that I use to produce a demo, and one that I would hand to real players. I don't remember if there is an organ in Sound Essentials or not. There is in v7 and you change stops by inserting text with the name of the stop. That changes the stop sound and looks more like something you would hand an organist.
Short of that, you may need to create a second score and place instructions in it that are just exactly what you want the organist to see.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop