Static During Playback

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
IvanM5365
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Windows

Post by IvanM5365 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:25 am

Hello,

I am currently using Sibelius 7 alongside the Virtual Drumline sample library and am trying to arrange a piece for marching percussion ensemble. However, when playing back the score, I noticed that there is a little bit of "static" type noise throughout the mid to high volume sections. During these loud sections (and especially on accented notes) there is always an intense static noise that accompanies it that is very annoying and frustrating because it makes it hard to hear the playback.

I'm wondering if the problem may be my speakers, since it only occurs in loud moments of the score and sounds similar to when the bass of a song is turned up. That or maybe it's the audio driver?

I'm currently using a Surface Book 2 to run the program.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:59 am

There are two possible solutions, depending on what is causing this:

1. Sib does not have much headroom in its mixer settings. Set all the faders in the mixer to 75 (or thereabouts) including the main fader on the left and the effexts faders and purple instrument faders - show them if they aren't visible.

2. It could be that your sound card (especially if it is a cheap on-board chip) can't handle the number of instruments playing. If you are making mp3s be assured that the clipping will not be transferred to the audio because the path doesn't include the sound chip.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk