Help please, no sound

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
blackdog
Sibelius Version: ultimate
Operating System: Windows

Post by blackdog » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:59 pm

HI, im new here and new to Sibelius Ultimate and have a new laptop. it is a windows 10 Laptop.

I have installed Sibelius Ultimate and the sounds updater but I am not able to hear anything in Sibelius. I can play other music on my laptop.
I have tried all the fixes I have found and understand online and tried all of the options in audio engine options to no avail.
Alot of the forums have very technnical instructions which I dont understand so I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me sort this out, as Im sure its probably quite simple, but in very simple non technical language.

thanks for reading.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:47 pm

Did you install the actual sound library or did you try to install a sib sounds updater? The sound library is some 23GB in size whilw zipped and about 34GB when unzipped) and is a considerable download. After it has been downloaded you have to unzip it and then run the installer contained within the unzipped folder.

The whole process might need between 4 and 6 hours to complete (including the download) depending on your download speed and your computer's specs..
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:06 pm

I hope you installed Sibelius and the sounds to their default locations. Some folks try to install the sounds to a different location or drive. Sometimes Sibelius finds them and sometimes not. Here's some things to check. You've probably already done most of them. These instructions are for V7.5, but I think your version is mostly the same.
File/Preferences/Playback. Set max number of channels to 128. Set cpu cores to at least 2.
Play/Setup. This brings up Playback Devices. Sibelius Sounds should be in the Configuration box. Active Devices box should have Sibelius player listed. Available Devices should be grayed out.
Select "Audio Engine Options" lower left. Check "Use virtual instruments.....".
Interface-you'll have to try each driver until you find one that works. DS seems to work most of the time, or MME.
Check " release device......"
Just to be sure, Click "Rescan" below the folders box.
On your computer keyboard, hit "m". This brings up the Mixer. Make sure the master faders are up to zero. And that there are indeed instruments listed. Hit "m" again to close the mixer.
Close Sibelius. Restart computer.
If there is still no sound, there are a few other things to try. The things is that as long as Sibelius is installed to it's default locations, most of these settings are automatic, and Sibelius just works.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:10 pm

I thought I heard that the updater was included in the newest full sounds download. In any event, it sounds like the full sound file was not downloaded by the OP.
Bob Porter

blackdog

Post by blackdog » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:20 pm

Wow thanks, there is a lot there I have not tried.

I'm not sure what you mean about installing to default locations - I just clicked install and accepted everything it asked for. I made no changes to file locations that I'm aware of.

I realised that I hadn't downloaded the sound files - just the update, only because that was what was in the directions I was given. I've had the sound file downloading all day and it's just failed - network error! I'll try again tomorrow.

Thank you for such clear explanations I will try everything in the morning. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Many thanks.

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:42 am

I suspect that once you have installed the actual sound files that you won't have any problems. Where did you get the instructions that you followed?
Bob Porter

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:37 am

Before you start downloading, make sure your machine is set NOT to go to sleep or into hibernation or to invoke any power saving measures at any time during the download. Any interruption will cause a failure. You can always reinstate these afterwards.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

blackdog

Post by blackdog » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:40 am

The scant instructions came from the organisation who have provided the software but they are not techy so no help!

Thanks for the advice on downloading, I am sure that's why it failed as it did go to sleep! Now I have to work out how to stop it going to sleep! At least the help instructions on the laptop are easy to find and follow! :D

Thanks again guys for your help. Busy morning ahead!

blackdog

Post by blackdog » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi again.
I've downloaded and installed the sounds file and I now have sound!

I can't thank you guys enough for your patience and clear instructions.

Thanks

MikeLyons

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:14 pm

Glad you are up and working properly.