Playback differences on two computers

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
tjbassoon
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Windows

Post by tjbassoon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:25 pm

I have Sibelius 8 installed on two different computers. They have different audio hardware but I'm wondering if I can get one aspect to be the same between the two.

On my desktop, with a Soundblaster Audigy audio card using Creative ASIO drivers I have this operation:
Sibelius is open, and a web browser is open. I can play audio from the web browser while Sibelius is in the background, my MIDI keyboard continues to play sounds from Sibelius. In other words, audio works from both sound sources simultaneously. I can play my keyboard or hear audio from Sibelius playback while Sib is in the background and I'm listening to audio in another application. "Release device when Sibelius is in the background" is UNCHECKED in audio options.

On my laptop, with Realtek onboard sound using ASIO4All v2 drivers (or when HDMI audio output is active) this is the operation:
If Sib is open and in the foreground I can play audio from Sibelius, no other applications can have audio. If Sibelius moves to the background I can get playback from other devices but my MIDI keyboard no longer outputs audio from Sibelius, and Sib playback produces no audio. This is with "release device" checked. If I uncheck that option no other application will have audio at all as long as Sibelius is open, even in the background. I would like to have my laptop operate as my desktop does, so that I can have audio playing from both Sibelius (and MIDI keyboard control regardless of if Sibelius is in the foreground or not) and have audio possible from other sources. I use Sibelius for classroom teaching and frequently bounce between Sib and other audio programs (browser or media player) but always want my MIDI keyboard to produce audio.

Any ideas why I can get the operation I want on my desktop computer but not on my laptop? Any magic settings in ASIO or Sibelius audio engine that I can use my laptop the same way?

Both computers use the identical version of Sibelius and have Windows 10 (desktop is Win10 Pro, laptop is Win10Home, not that that probably matters).

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:11 pm

It may be that your creative ASIO driver is multi-client but ASIO4ALL is single client.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

tjbassoon
Sibelius Version: 8

Post by tjbassoon » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:23 pm

Unfortunately I think you're right. I've tried using JACK to fix this based on a completely different forum, but it wouldn't work at all. Couldn't find any other solutions to this problem. Annoying.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:46 am

Yup. The difference between a dedicated sound card, and onboard sound. In modern laptops, onboard sound is pretty good, though not as versatile. You might try it without Asio4all.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop