Sibelius and Spitfire Studio Orchestra Soundset

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
lozbarkerdrums
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by lozbarkerdrums » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:55 pm

Hi I recently purchased spitfires studio orchestra and it sounds great... I want to use this library within Sibelius 7.5, I have been somewhat successful in creating my own soundset however am having an issue with the key switching portion of the soundset.
When I open the soundset it links to kontakt, I am using the UACC controller 32 to change between articulations. the first articulation in my score always works whether it is pizz,legato,tremmolo,orstaccato… however when a message comes later in the passage to switch to another articulation most of the time it never does. I presume this is something to do with the reset feature in sound set editor but I cant get it to work any help would be amazing! Will attach a screengrab of my sound set
Attachments
soundset eddit.JPG
soundset eddit.JPG (59.05 KiB) Viewed 6325 times

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:59 am

This is the sort of question that's probably best asked on the official Sibelius chat pages.

It's not something I can help you with and I don't know if the other few people on here who answer questions go this deep into soundset editing.

c64audio
Sibelius Version: 8.19

Post by c64audio » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:36 pm

I've written soundsets for many things, including Spitfire Studio Strings and Brass, Orchestral Tools, Kirk Hunter, 8Dio, Embertone, Virharmonic, etc.

Basically, Sibelius doesn't send controller 32s. It suppresses them for some weird reason. The workaround is to use controller 33 and remap the UACC controller in Kontakt to be controller 33 instead of 32. Then everything will work fine.

I'd give you my XML but it also requires custom, purged, patches as well.

Another thing about some recent Kontakt player-compatible libraries appearing is that their 3 character library ID has a letter in it. Unfortunately it's hardcoded into Sibelius that only numeric library IDs are acceptable, which means Sibelius is unable to use that library ID to autoload. The workaround involves copying patches to a directory of the Kontakt Factory library and then acting as if they're part of that. As long as the saved patches point back to the samples in the original library, it's good. You can use the same trick to make Kontakt libraries choosable from the Kontakt Player menu that don't usually appear there.

Chris

bonjohn
Sibelius Version: 7.1
Operating System: Mac

Post by bonjohn » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:04 pm

Thanks so much for that info!
I've encountered the same problem, however it doesn't respond to the CC32 only in the Strings... Woodwinds and Brass work just fine with the CC32. Does it mean Sibelius has problem sending CC32 only for the Strings..?

Chris, could you please elaborate on how to remap the controller from 32 to 33? Is it something I need to do within KONTAKT or within the Spitfire Library? How to do that..? Would you recommend to remap all their libraries (including Woods and Brass) or just the Strings? Will very appreciate your help!