playback of solo viola and cello sound distant and weird

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
Mazartinvienna37
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Windows

Post by Mazartinvienna37 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:44 pm

Hi,
It has been a few years since I was on this forum, so it's possible someone addressed this problem already and I'm not aware of it. I apologize in advance if that is the case.

I have had Sibelius 8 since last year and have never had any problems with it. Today, for the first time, I noticed something problematic. I set up a new score, for a standard string quartet. When I went to play the 4 instruments, the 2 violins sounded fine. But the viola and cello played back as if they were in the next room (that is, distant) and a bit shrill-sounding. I noticed that when I clicked on the notes, while notating, that the viola and cello sounded normal and fine. It only occurs during playback. Then, after that first playback, even clicking on it in notation produces that weird sound. However, when I go to "configuration" and switch from "Sibelius 7 Sounds (Chamber)" to "Sibelius 7 Sounds", or vice-versa, the viola and cello go back to sounding normal during notation. Only when i go to play it back do their sounds degrade again Anybody want to hazard a guess as to what could be causing this? Thanks.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:52 am

Have you checked the faders in the mixer and the pan levels?
There are also other adjustable parameters which may (or may not) make the sound better. Personally, I'd get NotePerformer. It works with Sibelius, Finale and Dorico and the quality of the sound is far superior (if you ignore the slighly annoying reverb).
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

EdMBM
Sibelius Version: 8.2

Post by EdMBM » Wed May 13, 2020 12:39 pm

I have the exact same problem from time to time! For me, it works (at least until happening again) exporting the Sibelius file to an earlier version os Sibelius, like 7, and then opening that file. Try that :wink: