Using Kontakt sounds in Sibelius Ultimate

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
kingy75
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Windows

Post by kingy75 » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:14 am

I know this has likely been covered before but I can't seem to find anything right now.

Is anyone using Kontakt sounds successfully in Sibelius Ultimate? Or any other VSTs? Any tips for getting it to happen?

Bloodbeef
Sibelius Version: Ult 2020.3 2503

Post by Bloodbeef » Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:46 pm

First, you need to have Kontakt included in your playback devices. Add how many different Kontakt plugins you will need to the column on the right and then save your playback configuration.

Then in the mixer, for each instrument, you click on auto or sibelius to change it to the number of the Kontakt vst you want to use.
You then press on the dented wheel for each instrument and configure Kontakt vst as you wish.

Actually, I'm a noob myself so I have a little more advanced question on this topic!

How can I use snapshots from Kontakt in Sibelius? For example, I'm using Kinetic Treats in Kontakt vst in Sibelius but can only use the main variation of each instrument. I can change the snapshot but it does not change in the playback sound.

Can anyone please help?

Thanks!

dougboblas
Sibelius Version: 21.2.0.3268
Operating System: Mac

Post by dougboblas » Tue May 18, 2021 8:34 am

A real noob here, and I'm following your helpful tips, but I don't understand where the list of audio devices in the left hand column comes from in the first place. How do I include audio devices in that list of playback devices. Does that automatically happen when you download and install an audio device? eg. Kontakt or GPO etc. - or do I have to install those myself in a specific Sibelius directory somewhere.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Tue May 18, 2021 12:52 pm

I don't use Kontakt with Sibelius because I just found it too fussy. I want to spend my time composing and arranging, not fiddling with the machinery!

With every vsti, there is an xml file that is placed in the folder (image)
vstfolder.png
vstfolder.png (66.78 KiB) Viewed 6571 times
Be aware that Sibelus does not handle vst3, only vst2 (unlike Dorico which CAN handle vst3.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk