Sibelius 6 won't play Sibelius Sounds

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
Micro
Sibelius Version: 6.2.0.88
Operating System: Windows

Post by Micro » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:45 am

This is a bit embarrassing! I’m running Sibelius 6 on my PC and while fiddling with the settings in ‘Playback Devices’ have unintentionally caused Sibelius Sounds to stop working.

I use Sibelius 6 a lot for my job as a music teacher but I’m not very computer savvy and am now completely stumped! I wondered if some kind soul out there might possibly be able to help me please?!
Here's the relevant info:

The other audio devices on my computer (iTunes, Windows Media Player) still work fine.

I’m using a Lexicon Lambda audio interface with headphones and have never had any other issues with playback before.

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled both Sib 6 and Sibelius Sound Essentials from my DVD-ROM disc. Both are still located in ‘Program Files (x86)’, as before. Have also updated Sib 6 to version 6.2.0.88.

In Sibelius 6/Playback Devices/Configuration, only ‘General MIDI (basic) is working. Though ‘General MIDI (enhanced)’ and ‘Sibelius Sounds’ also show on the dropdown list, neither will work. When I set the Configuration to ‘Sibelius Sounds’, the ‘Active Devices’ menu in the Playback Devices box is only showing the following:

Device: ‘Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth’/ Type: ‘MIDI’/ Sound Set: ‘General MIDI’

When I click on ‘Configuration’/’Sibelius Sounds’, the Sibelius Player is showing under ‘Available Devices’ but the ‘Active Devices’ box on the right remains empty.

My audio interface (Lexicon Lambda) is plugged in, switched on and has the volume turned up, and I’ve checked that my operating system is correctly configured to play audio produced by Sibelius.

At one point, after reinstalling and reopening Sibelius 6, the following error notification appeared: 'ERROR 40201 Undefined external error. (MMSYTEM/OUT)'. I searched online and found that, “This problem usually occurs when another audio application is trying to use the MIDI input or output device (you can tell which by whether the error says MMSYSTEM IN or OUT). Please make sure that you are only using Sibelius while working on a project”.

Unfortunately, I don’t understand what that means!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.